Author Topic: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.  (Read 77254 times)

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Richard/Richards of Strygosfawr, Lledrod.
« Reply #414 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I think that the two people with an interest in  Scrygos (sic) are Thomas Richards , under-tenant and John Davies as the full tenant. I still haven't been able to find an Owen Davies that I can link to anyone that we know. He may have come from some other part of Wales without a connection to Lledrod or Cardiganshire, hence the lack of progress.
                                     Regards, Peter
Richards in Anglesey. Liverpool, Cardiganshire.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I think it is well worth looking at the will of David Davies,Blacksmith,Caron,1806.I think he is a son of Joseph Davies(1780 will).There are a number of familiar names there,including a Joseph Davies who may be the son of Daniel.However,there may be another Joseph in the greater family as it is unlikely that a Joseph,born circa 1794,would be an executor in 1806.There is also a David Richard of Garn Lwyd,though I don't think it is clear,whether,or how,he is related.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
There is an earlier will for Garn Lwyd - a Thomas David will of 1748 (though written in 1738) in which  he leaves the majority of his estate to his brother Richard David.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: Thursday 19 January 17 09:42 GMT (UK) »
  I'm looking at the details of Owen Davies and trying to remember where I found those details. I can't find anything about him at the present except that there was such a person with those dates of birth and death, (1733-1812) and that is available in the Tregaron data on Family Search.
 It may well have been that I've plucked him out as being a faint possibility as a husband for Jane and then cemented him into my tree as a certainty.
 We know that children are generally named after parents or grandparents; a look at the children of Jane = Joseph  and Jane, and Jane's children = Joseph, John, Lewis, Thomas Oliver and Mary Jane, there isn't an Owen to be seen, (this is also seen in the next generation of eleven known children).
 It could well be that any of your Davies subjects with the name, 'Joseph',could be the correct husband for Jane.
                              Regards, Peter.
Richards in Patagonia and Canada. Owens and Williams in Holyhead. Laird family, Birkenhead. Richards-Bridges family, Epsom.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: Thursday 19 January 17 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Owen comes from the MIs of Lledrod with wife Jane.I think you have inferred that her maiden name was Richards in order to make the "nephew" relationship fit,because the grave is next to that of Joseph,who is buried alone.There is no indication on his MI that he is related and he is given as of Ynys,as are one of the Lewis group.You might well be right in your inference or assumption,but,equally there could be other explanations(intermediate generation for example)

I hae also now found that there must have been a marriage between a Jane Richards of Garn Lwyd and James Davies of Hendre Philip.Their granddaughter,Emily Davies,via her father John(born 1795),appears to have been an early pioneer in women's rights campaigning.

I had seen the will you mentioned,and it again demonstrates the difficulty with patronymics.

I still feel certain that positively identifying the parentage of the nephew Joseph Davies is key to confirming the branch of the Richards family that equates with "David of Lledrod",the father of Edward and,therefore John and James.I feel we have him surrounded,but not yet caught.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: Thursday 19 January 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
 I've had a look at the 1780 and 1808 wills for the two Josephs of Caron. The Joseph in the 1780 will is below the age of 23 and I've traced the one in the 1808 will to Gwnnws where him and his wife Mary have a child born in 1813.
 Once again there is no 'name connection' to an  Owen.
One thing that does come to mind again is that Ynysberfedd was owned by Edward Richards up until the day he died in 1833. He forgives the money owed to him by Joseph Davies, his nephew. I can't see any reason why he should forgive any debt to anyone else except Joseph, the son of his sister. He didn't forgive rent or debt to anyone that were tenants of his other farms .... he only forgives the debts owed by his siblings and his nephew.
                                  Back to square one.
                                                                    Regards, Peter

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: Thursday 19 January 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
While I don't disagree with your analysis,it obviously begs the question- who is his sister?t might not be a Jane at all,and even if so,not the wife of Owen Davies.
I forgot to mention in reading the will  of David Davies,blacksmith,1806,he refers to his sister Margaret of Rhyd Lwyd.There must be a clue there.

Regards
Roger

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: Thursday 19 January 17 19:07 GMT (UK) »
  I've rejected Jane and Owen for the moment, just to clear the decks for some other persons. I've just run a search for anyone called Davies with a son named Joseph ... dozens of them but none are in our area or with a pre-1800 birth-date. I've also looked closely at the William Davies that lived 200 meters from Edward's sister, plus his brother Richard, without success. They would both have been old enough and we have them on record as Richard trying to buy Penbryn from William in 1772.
                                            regards, Peter.

Offline Viking666

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: Friday 20 January 17 16:11 GMT (UK) »
 Another re-think.
 So far we have searched high and low for the parents of Joseph Davies of Ynysberfedd without success. The closest shot was Owen and Jane; there is a record of them marrying, and they are buried together in our area. Coupled with the fact that Joseph Davies is buried in the grave next to theirs seems to be too much of a coincidence and, without any alternatives I think that Occam's razor should prevail.
 Owen could have been related to the Davies of the 1780 will except that nothing of him appears in that will, him having been born in 1733; he must have been a generation earlier.
 Richard David of Strygos had 5 sons and one daughter, Jane. Owen and Jane 's second child was named Jane. The Rev, John of Llanerchymedd has a daughter Jane, so too his brother James. (Their mother was Elizabeth and all have children named after her).
 All other leads that we've investigated have little or no merit compared to Owen and Jane.  The speculation of Jane and James Davies of Garn Llwyd is a case in Question. They have a son John who was born the same year as Jane, (the second child of Owen and Jane). Their child, Emily Davies was born in Southampton!
 Jane, (2nd child) is later seen living  with her family and Joseph at Ynysperfedd so all of the Janes mentioned are documented.
 Owen and Jane are back in my tree simply because of the 'circumstantial evidence' that surrounds them.
                                        Regards, Peter.