Author Topic: 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers WW1 help  (Read 4332 times)

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers WW1 help
« on: Sunday 03 August 14 12:24 BST (UK) »
My great Uncle John Joseph Murphy was a private in the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He died of wounds on the 5th of September 1918 and was buried in Les Trois Arbres Cemetery in Steenwerck on the Franco-Belgian border. I tried to do a search for his service (ie enlistment) record on ancestry but could only find him in the very general "UK, Soldiers died in the Great War" category.

His regimental number was 28270 and he was aged 24 when he died. He was born in Govan, Glasgow.

Does anyone know of anywhere I could possibly look to find more information on his enlistment or service?

I would especially like to know the circumstances of when he joined up (ie 1914, 1916) and his term of service.

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
Re: 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers WW1 help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
I'm guessing there must have been a recruitment station for the RDF in the Glasgow area, as my Great Uncle, James McGinley 17608 1st Batt RDF, was a miner in Hamilton. He was KIA 4/6/1915 in Galiopolli. I take it that you already have his Medal Index Card, as it usually gives the Theatre of War first served in & date of entry.
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
His Medal Index Card does NOT contain a Date of Entry nor Theatre of War, which usually shows that the soldier did not go overseas before January 1916.

As he is recorded as "Died of Wounds", it is always hard to determine where and when he was wounded, but the attached is an extract of an Operation Report for the Battalion on the day before he died, and this MAY have been the action in which he was wounded.

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline johnbhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • For my Grandchildren
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
That's an outstanding attachment of an Operation Report, thanks for sharing Stephen.

Reference : His Medal Index Card does NOT contain a Date of Entry nor Theatre of War, which usually shows that the soldier did not go overseas before January 1916......I was unaware of that

My great uncles MIC shows (2b) Balkans as Theatre of War first served in, and also shows 15.5.15 as the Date of entry therein
Scotland (Helensburgh, Glasgow, Banff, Campbelltown); MacKenzie, McKenzie, Donnachie, Donachie, McClafferty, Fee, Scullion, Cairns, McDonagh, McFinney,Chalmers,Stewart, McAllister

Ireland (Donegal-Rosses, Mullaghduff, Boyle Co Roscommon & other counties); Donachie, Finnigan, McGinley, Brennan, Sharkey, Boyle, Sweenie, Kearns, Balmartin, Martin, McDonald, Irvine

England (Carlisle); Ashbridge,Armstrong, Cavers, Wall, Dixon
England (Blackpool) Hall, Barker
Germany (Hohebach,Württemberg) Wahl

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 12:46 BST (UK) »
Johnboy

The "Date Entered" is used to determine eligibility for the 1914 or 1915 Star, so men going overseas from January 1916 don't have an entitlement and therefore USUALLY don't have a date written in. There are (as always) exceptions, but as a broad rule it holds true.
Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline Tyrannosaurus

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 18:24 BST (UK) »

The Irish Times (1874-1920) [Dublin, Ireland] 17 Sep 1917
WOUNDED.
Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Murphy, 28270, J. (Govan.)

The Scotsman (1860-1920) [Edinburgh, Scotland] 15 Oct 1918
RANK AND FILE – SCOTTISH LOSSES.
DIED OF WOUNDS.
Royal Dublin Fus. - Murphy, 28270, J. (Govan.)

Rex

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 17:38 BST (UK) »
I am so impressed by what you guys have come up with. The expertise of people on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Thank you to everyone who contributed. I never expected to receive such excellently sourced information.

I'm guessing there must have been a recruitment station for the RDF in the Glasgow area, as my Great Uncle, James McGinley 17608 1st Batt RDF, was a miner in Hamilton. He was KIA 4/6/1915 in Galiopolli.

That is very interesting about your Great Uncle. Gallipoli was a horrendous campaign, as all amphibious beach landings tend to be. It would be fascinating to be able to find out if there really was such a recruitment station somewhere in Glasgow. My father had thought that his uncle travelled to Dublin, however I think that would have been unlikely.

One question I have is: given that my great uncle was likely conscripted in 1916, he must have been given a choice over which regiment to join?

As he is recorded as "Died of Wounds", it is always hard to determine where and when he was wounded, but the attached is an extract of an Operation Report for the Battalion on the day before he died, and this MAY have been the action in which he was wounded.

That is an incredible record Stephen. How on earth did you find it? I truly appreciate this. It is indeed possible that this was the action in which he was wounded. At the very least, he must have been wounded somewhere near this area since that is where the Battalion where in late 1918.

Amazing find.

The Irish Times (1874-1920) [Dublin, Ireland] 17 Sep 1917
WOUNDED.
Royal Dublin Fusiliers.
Murphy, 28270, J. (Govan.)

The Scotsman (1860-1920) [Edinburgh, Scotland] 15 Oct 1918
RANK AND FILE – SCOTTISH LOSSES.
DIED OF WOUNDS.
Royal Dublin Fus. - Murphy, 28270, J. (Govan.)

Rex

Once again, I am so impressed by people on here. You have just answered for me a question that I have had for years.

I have in my possession a postcard that John Joseph Murphy sent to his parents after being wounded at the Front and sent back to England. I always wanted to find out in what battle or operation he could have been wounded in and when. On the back of the postcard was a photograph of himself seated with his company. It says that they called themselves, "The Seven Clinkers".

I've attached the postcard and photograph to this post. My Great Uncle John Joseph is the young man on the bottom far left.

Its quite hard to read but this is what he wrote:

"Dear Mother and Father,

I have arrived in England from France. I don't yet know what hospital I am going too but will write the first chance I get. It is not serious, so don't worry. Had no money for stamp. Hope you are all well,

Your loving son,

John"

Given that your post above indicates that he was wounded in September 1917, I checked and found out that the 1st Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers were then involved in the Battle of Passchendaele, which I presume must then have been where he was wounded the first time but survived and returned.

Thank you to each one of you!

Offline Clodagh.lennon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 March 22 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I found a record for John Joseph Murphy 28270 in UK Army, Registers of soldiers effects.  I have attached it below

Offline Clodagh.lennon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 22 09:14 GMT (UK) »
So, as far as I can see John Murphy was wounded 3 times. 12/08/1917.  Record attached John was with the 8th Service Battalion RDF. Entitled to wear wound stripe 14/09/1917 and 08/05/1918.  In the final entry regarding John's death  he's noted as being with 1st Battalion, Duty location:  France and Flanders, Fate:  Died of wounds.

This record relates to John Murphy - 12/08/1917. 
MH106/2003 MH106/2003 can be found at The National Archives in Kew, and contains First World War Representative Medical Records of 31st Ambulance Train: British Expeditionary Force France. 12/08/1917 – 21/09/1917. Troops of British Expeditionary Force. No. 31230 – 32271. Transfers T3597 – T3984.
Entrained Boulogne. Detrained Rouen
Ailment:  Contusions
Date of admission for original ailment: 12.08.1917
Date discharged back to duty: 13.08.1917
Notes written in the observations Column: Trip 118 (cont'd)
Regiment:  RDF
Battalion 8th (Service) Battalion