Author Topic: Appollonia Jukes born 1795 Bayton, Worcestershire  (Read 2015 times)

Offline davidjkrichards

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Appollonia Jukes born 1795 Bayton, Worcestershire
« on: Monday 04 August 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on Appollonia who was born Richard Jukes & Elizabeth Wyer.

I cannot find anything after her baptism on the 8th March 1795 in St Bartholomew, Bayton. As with most at this time the spellings of the names vary & one of her siblings is under Dukes.

Jenny from Australia believes that she may have married a John Birch and an Appollonia (?) Birch does appear in 1841 & 1851 in Great Malvern but with an age that differs (1777 & 1795) and a birth place of Redmarley.

Any help on what happened to Appollonia would be gratefully received.
Richards, Hewlett, Kear, Elsmore, Brown, Adams, Griffiths, Partridge - Gloucestershire
Richards, Morgan, Jones, Phillips, Duggins, Williams, Watkins, Palmer - Glamorgan
Watkins, Lewis , Havard, Bowcott - Breconshire
Palmer,Palmour,  Lewis, Phillips, Dawkins - Pembroke
East, Radford - Devon
Scanlon, Tynan, Farrell,  McManus, Burn - Co Longford, Ireland
Perry, Pugh, Glaze, Roberts, Reynolds, Lister, Jones, Thomas, Pearce - Shropshire
Edwards, Speake - Herefordshire
Swan, Taft, Pearce- Staffs

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Re: Appollonia Jukes born 1795 Bayton, Worcestershire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

I found an 'Appollonia Smithan' on the 1841 census in Kidderminster which is not that far from Bayston and she was the right age. This was on Ancestry but when I checked the document it looked more like 'Southan' than 'Smithan'. I wondered if this might be her.

Then I found on Family Search the marriage of an Appolonia Noakes to William Southan, on 15th Jan 1829 at St Mary's Kidderminster. I haven't seen an image of the original entry and I just wonder if 'Noakes' could possibly be a poor transcription of 'Jukes'???
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline davidjkrichards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

Thank you so much for your efforts. I thought it was a breakthrough. I discovered Appolonia Southan (you were right) in 1851 at 6 Woodfield Row Kidderminster giving her birthplace as Cleobury. She has two children with a surname of Noakes & an Appollonia Nokes was born in Cleobury Mortimer in 1793. I originally thought that the name Appollonia would be simple to trace.

best wishes

David
Richards, Hewlett, Kear, Elsmore, Brown, Adams, Griffiths, Partridge - Gloucestershire
Richards, Morgan, Jones, Phillips, Duggins, Williams, Watkins, Palmer - Glamorgan
East, Radford - Devon
Perry, Pugh, Glaze, Roberts, Reynolds, Lister, Jones, Thomas, Pearce - Shropshire

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 October 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi :)

Well, that's rather a shame it's not the right one :(

I also thought that an Appollonia would be easy to find, but it must have been popular at the time - unless, of course, there are distant family relationships between them all.

I've been trying to sort out whether an Appollonia Jeenes belongs on my tree :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline davidjkrichards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Tricia,

I am sure that there are realationships between them. Strange how names disappear.

Which area is Appollonia Jeenes from?

David
East, Radford - Devon