Author Topic: RFA - Medal card + associated photograph interpretation  (Read 3805 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RFA - Medal card + associated photograph interpretation
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 14:51 BST (UK) »
On his marriage certificate in 1918, William Wright gave his occupation as "Shoeing Smith, Royal Field Artillery".

As it is such a common name I have only had a few half hearted attempts at finding him. I have just gone through the Medal Rolls index cards 1914-1918 for men named William Wright. The great majority have ranks of 'Dvr' or 'Gnr', with only a handful of other ranks.

I did find one medal card which I would appreciate some help understanding.

Regtl no is 56338, Rank is 'S/Sth', corps RFA, and on the line below, corps and number are the same but rank is 'a/cpl'.

Am I correct in thinking 'S/Sth' is 'Shoeing Smith'?

What is 'a/Cpl'? There is also a symbol and I would like to know what that means - it's an 'X' with four dots around it. I read that symbols relate to the medals and the same symbol is beside the Victory medal he was awarded. What might this mean in this case?

I also understand that the number can give some clues. If so, what does 56338 tell us?

This chap first served in Egypt on 2-4-15. There is a (3) in front of Egypt - what does this signify?

Any help understanding this card, and trying to work out if this is my William, would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RFA - Medal card interpretation
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Shoeing smith seems a likely explanation for S/Sth.

A/Cpl is Acting Corporal.

His number might be of some help in working out when he enlisted someone out there will have done some work on RFA numbering - a post on the Great War Forum might find that someone.

(3)Egypt is Theatre of War (3) - Egypt. Changed to theatre 4 in 1916 so demonstrates your chap was there earlier - but the date already tells you that.

The cross and dots were a note to the man impressing the details onto the medals prior to their issue to the relevant individual. The symbol told him which details to put onto the medal when there was more than one unit or service number.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 20:33 BST (UK) »
The closest I can see are 2 men with 5 digit no's. starting with 55 who both attested Dec. 1914 RFA.
Your man must have joined Dec. 14-Jan.15.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jim and newburychap. Your replies have helped, and I am feeling a bit more confident that I have the right chap.

I did think about joining the Great War Forum, but thought I would try here first.  :) It might be my next port of call.

I am hoping for some clues as to where this chap joined up which would help to work out if this is my shoeing smith.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 01:59 BST (UK) »
This is he.

He married in January 1918 so prior to this photo being taken. Can anyone tell me if the details on the medal card fit in date wise, and with this uniform?

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: RFA - Medal card + associated photograph interpretation
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 06:46 BST (UK) »
I have just done some research and believe that the chevrons on the lower left sleeve are good conduct stripes, for 6 years service.

Can anyone identify any other details in the uniform please? I am curious about the button or badge on the shoulder lapel. It is very unclear but looks diamond shaped.  :-\

Thanks.  :)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 09:57 BST (UK) »
This link takes you to a thread with two photos of my great uncle Per, who was also a shoeing smith in the RFA, as well as other people in his unit.

The uniform looks the same, and you get a better view of the diamond shaped button on his epaulette. What a pity your photo doesn't show his other sleeve, with the horseshoe badge.

Mike

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=649183.0

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 13:38 BST (UK) »
Mike, thank you for the link. An interesting thread but now I am a little confused, because on that thread you say:
My great uncle, the shoeing smith, is a "gunner" rather than a private.

So, do shoeing smiths have another role as well? On the medal card it only gives the rank of S/Sth.

Also I do note some differences in your Great Uncle's uniform and my William's uniform though I did read about an 'economy' uniform without pleated pockets so I expect there may have been other differences over the years, or perhaps different uniforms for different regions?
In our photos I note the following differences:
Trousers, collars, 'flap's above chest pockets, seams below collar.

Yes it is a shame that my man's right arm is hidden, and sadly that is the only photograph we have of him in uniform.

Although your photo is a lot clearer than mine, I still can't quite make out the thing on the epaulette. Is it a sew on badge or a metal button?

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

A gunner is the artillery equivalent of a private. (I didn't know that until recently either). It doesn't mean that they manned the guns. I think the diamond shape badge or button is made of cloth, although on your picture it looks more solid. Someone here will know for sure though.

Mike