Author Topic: Rowan family from Listowel  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Lindajane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rowan family from Listowel
« on: Tuesday 12 August 14 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there. I would like to get in touch with any remaining Rowan family or their descendants from Listowel, in particular from around Ballaghadigue. I know they were there during the 1911 census but I have a feeling they didn't remain there.

The name can be spelled a number of ways such as Rohan and Roan but this particular group seem to have stuck with Rowan.

Does the name sound familiar to anyone?

Many thanks  :)

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Rowan family from Listowel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 13:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lindajane

Have you tried putting Rowan into the surname interests search at the bottom of the page to see if anyone else is researching them?
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline keefy77

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, my mother was Mary Rowan from Listowel. She came to England some time around 1950? Her mother lived in Holloway, London. I know she had a brother called Patrick, another brother who lived near Kennington Oval and a sister who lived around Manchester. More that that I cannot say.

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
Try the National archives census 1911
Another earlier census 1901
Suggestion to do a Kerry County Search for all the rowans and variations of the surname eg
Rohan

Offline SalomeMaidment

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

My Great Grandfather, Timothy Rowan, was born in Listowel in 1881 and his father, Patrick Rowan, is living in Ballaghadigue in the 1901 census.

Timothy came over to England sometime before 1911 as he married my Great Grandmother, Ellen Agnes Lowe in 1911 and was living and working in Fishponds, Bristol in 1911.

I understand from other members of my family that either he or his father was from a second marriage.

Offline peterowan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 December 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was also Timothy Rowan from Balahadigue. I have the 1911 census (which lists Patrick Rowan aged 43, his wife Mary and 8 children). Timothy had already left home for Bristol by then, he's in the 1911 census for Bristol as an Attendant at Bristol Lunatic Asylum. I also have the 1901 census, that only lists Patrick Rowan aged 60, presumably Timothy's grandfather.
I also have photos (not currently scanned, but I can do them) taken in the 1970s I think, of the field at Balahadigue, and also of Jack Rowan (Timothy's brother) in Listowel.

Offline Lindajane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 January 15 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

My Great Grandfather, Timothy Rowan, was born in Listowel in 1881 and his father, Patrick Rowan, is living in Ballaghadigue in the 1901 census.

Timothy came over to England sometime before 1911 as he married my Great Grandmother, Ellen Agnes Lowe in 1911 and was living and working in Fishponds, Bristol in 1911.

I understand from other members of my family that either he or his father was from a second marriage.

This is what I suspected alright. Timothy's dad Patrick was married to Bridget Finnerty and had a number of children from what I can make out. His wife died in 1875. One of the children was called bridget Rowan who married a Michsel McCarthy. Patrick senior then married again and had Timothy in 1881.

Both Timothy and the McCarthys moved to Bristol. While there, half sister Bridget McCarthy had a child she named Timothy but he died young. The McCarthys then moved to Wales. I am helping a McCarthy man to research his family tree and I'm sure he would love to hear from relations :-)

Offline shortlight

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 July 15 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello All.

My Grandmother Bridget Rowan is listed on the 1911 census as the third daughter of Patrick and Mary. She moved to England in the early 1930s and married John Joseph McGuinness from Mayo. They settled in Romford and had my father, Michael Patrick Joseph.
John worked at Ford's of Dagenham for many years before dying in 1974. Bridie died in 1990.
I'd lore to hear any further information about any of her brothers, sisters and descendants.

Thanks,

Andrew McGuinness

Offline SiobhanNiamhR

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 June 23 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hello, not sure if anyone is monitoring this thread but I’m a descendant of the Rowans of Listowel. I just started doing my family tree and I’ve looked at all the names listed below and they are all in my family tree.

Im really intrigued about Bridget who died in her early 30’s in the 1800’s, does anyone know the cause of death? Would love to speak to other Rowan descendants!