Author Topic: Ann Fauke/Ffauke born about 1616 in Wirksworth  (Read 4312 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ann Fauke/Ffauke born about 1616 in Wirksworth
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 13:28 BST (UK) »
I am seeking more information on Ann Fauke born about 1616.  She seems to be on some family trees in ancestry as being born in Wirksworth, but does not seem to be on the PR of Wirksworth.  In 1641 she married Matthew Hopkinson in North Wingfield.  Matthew was a Quaker. This leads me to think that Ann may also have been a Quaker.  I believe her father was a John Fauke.  Any information on the Fauke family would be much appreciated. 
I do have quite a bit on the Hopkinsons but the Fauke family are a bit of a mystery.

Thanks, marp

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Fauke/Ffauke born about 1616 in Wirksworth
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a christening record 1624

Anne FOWKE daughter of Edward christened 26 Sept. 1624 Wirksworth

Burial: Agnys wife of Edward buried 27 July 1628

Possible marriage of parents: Edmund Fowke and Agnys Beghton 29 June 1619.

Other records here of possible siblings:

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/PR114.htm#751

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 14 05:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this.  I had already had a look at the Wirksworth web site (and what a wonderful resource it is).  I have noted on other sites that Ann's father was John Fauke -  although there does not seem any evidence provided for this.

I am interested in the family as a Thomas Fauke was a well-known Derbyshire Quaker who, after much punishment and persecution, emigrated with a number of others from Derbyshire and founded a colony in the US.   I am wondering whether this Thomas is Ann's brother.

Anyway, any information on the Fauke family (and the various spellings of the name) is appreciated.

Thanks again, marp

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 09:29 BST (UK) »
Yes, my name is Barry Foulks, a descendant in the male line of Thomas Fowke/Foulke, the Quaker who came to Burlington County, New Jersey, in 1677. I saw your post about Ann Fauke who married Matthew Hopkinson because I and others are researching this connection. I personally believe that Thomas Fouke of Codnor, married Dorothy Cham at Heanor on Oct. 30, 1616, and had Ann who married Matthew Hopkinson, who had among others Thomas (christened Dec. 20, 1657 at North Wingfield, married second wife Ann and had, among others, Thomas and Dorothy) and Dorothy. Thomas Fouke and Dorothy Cham also had my Thomas Foulke who married Mary Richardson, and Dorothy who married Robert Wood, from what I have put together so far. The original siblings may also have had a brother or cousin Godfrey, also a Quaker. Anything that you can confirm or add to this outline would be greatly appreciated

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Cham

There is a document held at Derbyshire Records Office which refers to Thomas Fowke & Matthew Hopkinson

RefNo    D3955/2/1    
Conveyance by Thomas Fowke of Holmgate, North Wingfield, yeoman, to Mathew Hopkinson of Coldwell, North Wingfield, yeoman, of all of his 1/3 prt of Nether Close 16 Mar 1676-77
Date
1676-77

Carol
(also researching Hopkinson of NW)
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 May 16 15:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I have seen this information posted on another genealogy website and it ties in with what I know about Thomas and Matthew. Thomas Foulke sailed to what is now Burlington County, New Jersey in the summer of 1677. This conveyance, on March 16 of the same year that he left England, to me shows that he is disposing of this English property to his brother-in-law and fellow Quaker Matthew Hopkinson, who stayed in England. It is definitely more evidence of the relationship between the two men, since I believe that Matthew married Ann, the sister of Thomas.