Author Topic: Parkers in Shoreham?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parkers in Shoreham?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello JohnLFC,

It looks to me as if the information is all a bit tenuous with nothing very certain held at all. The problem with things passed down the family is that often they have no factual basis. I have come across this in my own research, where one gt grandmother in particular, told my mother all sorts of interesting family history, nearly all of which has been proved to be untrue.

Unless there is some definite factual basis for the stories that have been passed down, I would be inclined to be very wary of these.

My thought on the name change is that Albert was illegitimate as another person has suggested. He would have had his birth registered, maybe baptised, in his mother's name, so he could have changed his name to Parker to acknowledge his father.

Unless you can find something to show Thomas served in the Hussars, again be wary of this information. This tends to be supported by the fact that there is no official record to verify the details.

I think we may be looking at needles and haystacks with this one.

Bear in mind that in the years you are talking about, Shoreham on Sea would have been a tiny fishing village and port. Most of the town that exists today was built up much later on.

My thought would be to try and identify details for Thomas Parker if possible. We know he died pre 1920, so have you tried to find a death for him? That would be a certainty but not easy to be sure as it is such a common name. We know he was alive in 1883, so died between then and 1920. It is possible that he was married to another at the time Albert was born.

It might be worth contacting the Sussex Family History Group to see if they can shed any light on this and the connection to Shoreham, Sussex. http://www.sfhg.org.uk/

The search for Albert's mother will be a very time consuming task indeed. It could mean looking at all the births registered for Albert in 1883 if you are sure he was born in that year. Does anyone know his birthday date?

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Just a thought but if all else fails, there will be the 1921 census with Albert and his wife on it. This should show his place of birth which might make it possible to trace him.

Jo.

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this Jo. You've given me a lot to think about, I'll ask my cousin if we know the DOB of Albert and follow your tips and re-visit my old notes.
I think I even discovered a Thomas Parker that died in a Brighton Sanatorium in the early 1900's!
(Albert died with dementia eventually!)
I'll pop back in to keep you updated.
Thank you again.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 August 14 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this response.

The date of birth of Albert Parker would be a great help as that way it will narrow any search for his birth registration and baptism. In the event he was born in Shoreham, there are two old churches there where he may have been baptised.

http://www.saintnicolas.org.uk/

http://www.stmarydehaura.org.uk/

His year of birth may have been 1884 as that looks likely from his death registration.

Don't rule out the death of Thomas Parker in the Brighton sanatorium. There are records for this place in the archives at The Keep, the new East sussex Record office.

Do let us all know of developments.

Jo

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 15 December 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
No luck so far. I written to the Army with details of Albert Parker but they have referred me to the National Archives, I've contacted to Cheshire Records as Albert died in Winwick hospital but I need to visit one of their libraries to view records as I'm not a member of Findmypast (only Ancestry). We only know Albert was born in 1984 but not his actual dob.

My cousin is hoping a group in Sussex will do some research for Thomas Parker.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 June 21 03:44 BST (UK) »
JohnLFC,
Is there a chance that it could be Stoneham, instead of Shoreham? As your Uncle was little could he have been mistaken?
What was your Uncles and fathers Christian names?

Offline JohnLFC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 June 21 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Forguette, although we strongly suspect that is was Shoreham-on-Sea we've widened the search constantly taking in the broad area of Brighton and within Sussex. Often even in to London.
Several years have past and more and more people (mostly from USA albeit) have submitted a DNA, but even from that I've only really had 1 good match to a Thomas Parker but I can't link that Thomas to my Albert or even any Albert. So Albert may well be illegitimate and we've been unable to identify his mother.
Thanks for taking an interest.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:25 BST (UK) »
I'm reading conflicting posts by you  though, which leaves me unsure as to whether he married in 1920 or 1921?
What AGE was he on marriage?
what was the actual DATE of marriage?
I note you have the cert.

Do you have his death cert?

Which Thomas Parker have you a DNA match to?

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 June 21 11:49 BST (UK) »
Marriage was to Emily Nicholson in Hampstead in 1920.
Residence on marriage has not been given.
Albert Parker buried at Allerton Cemetery, 7 July 1949. Age 65. Late abode 10 Fernwood Rd.
Death registered Liverpool South, so where does Winwick Hospital fit in?

if we know the DOB of Albert

You now have a day/month of birth from the 1939 Register?
And a year, 1882, or 1883, if the age on death was more accurate.

if all else fails, there will be the 1921 census with Albert and his wife on it. This should show his place of birth which might make it possible to trace him.

Not so long to wait now!