Author Topic: John Read Senior 1802 / links to Ffynnongroew, Flintshire.  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Sue Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Read Senior 1802 / links to Ffynnongroew, Flintshire.
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
 :) I have made family links to Wrexham and Bersham in Denbighshire Wales after a whisper came from my Grandfather  that the  the Read family originally hailed from wealth in  Wales. It took 4 generations back  to prove.

My father made  a visit to the Welsh coast 1949, as a small child, travelling by train from Prestatyn through Chester and back to Manchester. He remembers my grandfather pointing to a house on the Welsh coast and commenting that it belonged to an earlier Read ancestor who was very wealthy. The village of Ffynnongroew has also been mentioned as a place that continued on for family holidays  over the years, and the 2 may be linked.

The family tree has shown that John Read born Wrexham 1802, Cordwainer  and Inn keeper in Manchester is a likely candidate. He was Landlord of the Old Blue Lion Public House in Cook St Salford, and employed several staff, shoe makers and a servant.   

His Grandson John Read, Railway Inspector , born Salford in 1871, is another possibility.

Is there any advice on making links between a person and a village? Welsh census (that survived) for the earlier years have not revealed any connections with this coastal area.... the Read family children were baptised in Salford and Wrexham at  intermittent periods with John obviously travelling/ living between the 2 townships.

I hope to visit the areas in June 2015, and would like to maximise chances of success with research, first. (I have lived in New Zealand since emigrating from Salford in 1970.)

Any advice would be welcomed.

Baxter, Kellet, Jennings, Marsden, Read, Speakman in Lancashire
Doran in Wexford,
Whalen and Welch in Waterford
Read, Roberts  in Denbighshire
Saunders in  Wiltshire, Sussex
Batchelor,  Whalen in Sussex
Sheppard in Wiltshire, Hampshire
Woodhouse, Tyler in Norfolk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Read Senior 1802 / links to Ffynnongroew, Flintshire.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Whilst I've no knowledge of your John Read,I do have a read connection born in the area.He is a Samuel Read born in 1824 who married my relative Caroline Madeley at Chester in 1850.He was a blacksmith and was to move with his family to the West Ham area of London where he died in 1903.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sue Lancashire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 10:03 BST (UK) »
 :) Thanks for your reply. It is possible your Samuel was a nephew or similar. 'Read' with this spelling is not common.  :)
Baxter, Kellet, Jennings, Marsden, Read, Speakman in Lancashire
Doran in Wexford,
Whalen and Welch in Waterford
Read, Roberts  in Denbighshire
Saunders in  Wiltshire, Sussex
Batchelor,  Whalen in Sussex
Sheppard in Wiltshire, Hampshire
Woodhouse, Tyler in Norfolk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 12:53 BST (UK) »
It seems from Trees I've been looking at Ancestry that this John Read(1802) married an Ellen(Eleanor) Roberts at Chester in 1821.It appears this couple also had a son Samuel born in Wrexham in 1830 and dying in Salford in 1881.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk