Author Topic: John Charles Schweitzer in British Military 1810-1819  (Read 4128 times)

Offline scotiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Charles Schweitzer in British Military 1810-1819
« on: Wednesday 20 August 14 03:33 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon.

I'm hoping someone can help me clarify some details regarding my fourth great grandparents John Charles Schweitzer (1783-1864) and Catalina Micaela Peralta (y Tallo) (1796-1875).  John Charles was  born in or near Waldeck, Germany.  According to the family history: as Napoleon's troops swept across Europe, John Charles fought for his local Duke against the French army, he was captured but escaped to the British.  (Another version is that he was a German mercenary?). He first served with the Duke of Brunswick's Infantry  “which was one of The Detachments of Foreign Corps” (no idea what that means....).  The family history says he was in England for most of 1811 (not sure why....) and later (no date given) embarked for Portugal.  On December 25, 1813 he was promoted from Corporal to Colour Sergeant in the 7th Company, 8th Battalion of the British 60th Regiment.  From 25 April 1814 until early 1818, he was in the 5th Battalion in Gibraltar.  The family history says that sometime between 25 December 1813 and 24 March 1814 he was absent in Tarifa, Spain “on special duty” (no idea what that was...).  During that time he worked for a local vintner, met and eloped with the vintner's daughter Catalina Peralta y Tallo.  She being Catholic and he being Protestant they couldn't get married locally and she allegedly bribed one of the captains of her father's vessels to take her and John Charles to Britain on his next trip. (Don't know how he managed this when he's supposed to be, I assume, on active duty?). They were supposedly married in England or Scotland.  (Can't find anything to corroborate that. Can anyone help here?) On 2nd October 1816 their daughter Ana (better known as Hannah) Maria Josefa “Swarsar (sic)” was born in Gibraltar (so now they're back in Gibraltar) and baptized in the Catholic Church of St. Mary the Crowned (o.k. to be baptized in a Catholic church but not married?. There's supposed to be a baptismal certificate but I haven't been able to find it.  Can anybody help me out here?  Would there be a British record of this birth somewhere?). The family history goes on to say that Sergeant Schweitzer reenlisted (no date given and would he not have had to have been discharged first?) in the 2nd Battalion which was stationed in Canada (where were they stationed?) where he was given his discharge at Quebec City on May 8, 1819.  He was given 200 acres of land in the Richmond Military Settlement in Canada for his service. So does that mean that sometime between 1816 and 1819,  he arrived in Canada and reenlisted for a short time only to be discharged in 1819?  Would he have had to have been on active duty until 1819 or could he be, say, farming and still be in the military on paper. Would he have had to go to Quebec City to sign his discharge papers?

On his official service record/discharge papers, it says that he enlisted at Cadiz, Spain on 25 December 1810 with the 2nd Rifle Batt. 60Th Regiment of Infantry where General N. C. Burton is Colonel.  Again his service record says he served until 7 May 1819: 6 years 130 as a sergeant and 2 years 2 days as a corporal.  Is the 60th Regiment of Infantry the same as the Duke of Brunswick's Infantry? 

Sorry for all the convoluted ramblings but it's quite a tale and I'd like to be able to separate the fact from the fiction.  If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Charles Schweitzer in British Military 1810-1819
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 08:01 BST (UK) »
It sounds as if the record you have is of his discharge hearing. So he was probably discharged to pension. It may say if his pensionable service does not match his total service. In which case this could be due to unauthorised absence.

The best way to sort it all out is to research the muster books for his battalion. These are original documents, not online, and are in the National Archives.

WO 12/6943   60th Foot 2nd Battalion   01/01/1809
WO 12/6944   60th Foot 2nd Battalion   01/01/1812
WO 12/6945   60th Foot 2nd Battalion   01/01/1814
WO 12/6946   60th Foot 2nd Battalion   01/01/1816
WO 12/6947   60th Foot 2nd Battalion (late 3rd Battn)   01/01/1819 or
WO 12/6883   60th Foot 1st Battalion (late 2nd Battn)   01/01/1819

The dates are nominal. The army year normally started on 26th December of the previous year. They should tell you where he was month by month. Although the general rule is that ones covering one year give more information than ones covering 2 or 3 years. The first and last entries may also give some personal information. The design changed every five years or so, and it is hard to predict what information will be given.

There will be no information about his wife.

Ken

Offline scotiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 16:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much km1971.

The document I'm looking at is a one page microfilm copy of a paper on "His Majesty's" letterhead with "These are to certify" followed by "1st" to "8th" down the left hand side (with corresponding general information about his length of service, his conduct, confirmation as to having received all clothing pay and any pay arrears etc.), the signature of the commanding officer (can't read) at the bottom and "confirmed by the Command of his Grace, the Commander of the Forces (can't read name)".  It's from the UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Registers.  I won't be able to look at the original muster books for his battalion as I live in Canada but thanks for the information anyway. I'll try reposting part of my original message under a different thread and see if I can get more information about the travel and family of this individual.  Maybe that will help me out as well.  Thanks.

Scotiagirl

Offline Patycake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello--
I too have John Charles Schweitzer and Catalina Micaela Peralta y Tallo in my lineage: eldest daughter Hannah (2 Oct. 1816 Gibralter) married (2 Jan. 1838 Goulbourn Twp.), John Miller, Ontario.
We ( a group of related Millers) have searched for the last 12 years for lineage of Schweitzer and Peralta but have come up short.
Looks like I cannot send the Baptismal file in this posting. But I do have it, thanks to a cousin in D.C., Philip Liggett. Let me know if I can email it to a different email address.
A year ago I contacted a man in Gibraltar, I believe he was in Gibraltar, whose web page was quite informative and he was able to answer some of our questions.  His name is Neville Chipulina[/b] and his response to my questions was most helpful.  Apparently I cannot send the document but would definitely send the text.....if desired.
I hope we can establish a line of communication.  I live in Washington state so my traveling is all done on the computer!!
Patycake

Offline scotiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patycake.

Sorry to hear you have had difficulty with the Schweitzer/Peralta search as well.  I'd dearly love to get a copy of the baptismal certificate for Hannah that you have.  I'm going to send you a PM is that's o.k.

Scotiagirl

Offline Patycake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Howdy Howdy!
Yes, that is just fine!
We Schweitzer/Peralta hunters must hang together!!
Patycake

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 March 15 14:36 GMT (UK) »
The OP's Post is impressive enough. The 60th (or Royal American) Regiment (2 battalions) was raised in N America in 1755. May well have had American colonial personnel. Purpose was for the French Indian War soon to be part of the Seven Years War 1756 - 1763, Britain and Prussia versus the rest!

Whatever happened to it between then and 1800, by the later date it was trained by Sir John Moore, of Corunna fame, together with the 95th Regiment, with Baker rifles at Shorncliff. The 60th had 8 battalions but more than less were normal redcoats, not Rifles.

Most people have seen the TV series 'Sharpe' Sharpe was from the 95th black collars and cuffs. Later on an officer character was introduced 'Sweet William' who removed his false teeth before action. He was 60th Rifles red collar and cuffs.

I've never got my head round the black Brunswickers. There used to be a lot of pubs in UK named 'The Brunswick Arms', may still be some. I guess they were named after the Duke of Brunswick killed at Waterloo. It was probably his father, CinC Prussian Army at Jena-Auerstadt 1806 also killed.       

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline scotiagirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 March 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patycake.

Seems I may have sent you an old email address.  I'll PM you again.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Scotiagirl

Offline Patycake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 August 16 21:51 BST (UK) »
Reply to scotiagirl     2014
Please email me again as I have not been able to connect with you on rootschat in regard to Schweitzer
Pat Walgamott