Author Topic: 1851-1871, Alice Morrison  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Almarica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851-1871, Alice Morrison
« on: Wednesday 29 June 05 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Perhaps someone could help me unravel a family mystery. My forebear James Young, born approximately 1850 in Coxhoe, was married on 29 September 1873 in Gateshead to an Alice Morrison, who was recorded as aged 27 at the time of the marriage (it should be noted that James's age is off about three years in the same record). Some time between 1878 and 1880 Alice died, as by the 1881 census James had a new wife. Not knowing where exactly she was born, if it wouldn't be a cruel and impossible task, could some kind person please tell me what Alice Morrisons appear in any census between 1851 and 1871 for Co Durham -- perhaps in the area around Gateshead or Houghton-le-Spring -- that might prove to be her from what we know, so I have some clue where to dig next?

Thank you in advance for considering my request.

Northumberland: Cuthbertson, Emery, Fenwick, Middlemass, Scott, Shanks

Durham: Young

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: 1851-1871, Alice Morrison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 07:54 BST (UK) »
In 1871, I can find but one Alice Morrison in Durham:

RG10/5050
Folio 106 p. 79
Heworth, Durham

Isabella Morrison, head, wid, 49, b. Northumberland Wallsend (?)
Joseph, son, unm, 19, Stoker in Chem Works, b. do.
Alice, dau, unm, 26, b. do.
Elizabeth, dau, 14, scholar, b. Durham Felling

In 1861 the head of this family is William (but Alice is not at home).
What's Alice's father called on the marriage certificate?

Tanja  :) 

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Almarica

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Tanja!

Unfortunately, I don't have the certificate -- just the entry in the IGI. It looks to be the same family, though; in 1881 the same household appears with the addition of Isabella's grandson, William G. Young.  :)

Many thanks.
Northumberland: Cuthbertson, Emery, Fenwick, Middlemass, Scott, Shanks

Durham: Young

Offline Philip Thomas Crook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 03:45 BST (UK) »
Are you sure you may have the right person. James Young is an ancestor of mine (3x great grandfather) he married Alice Morrison on 29 September 1873, in St Mary's Gateshead. He lived on Charles Street whilst Alice who was actually born in 1844 (not 1846) lived on Abbot Street. A year later they had the one son my Great Great Grandfather William George born 30 May 1874 at Abbot Street. Sadly in April 1878 Alice passed away and was buried at the St James' Church in Gateshead (church has been demolished since). Also James father was George, whilst Alice father was William according to their marriage certificate. We know we have the right Alice Morrison as stated as the address on William George birth certificate matches the address of Alice on her marriage certificate. Also we in the family have reasons to believe James Young was born in Ireland as this was told my my Great Great Grandfather William George to his children and passed down.