Author Topic: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry  (Read 34371 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Delany / Delaney of Cork and Kerry
« Reply #99 on: Sunday 24 June 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
I’ve been trying to find more on the Delanys.  Before going too far I realised I need to work forwards a bit before working back.

In my first post I mentioned Matthew Browne of Dublin who married Margarette Delaney, daughter of Matthew Delaney of Cork (deceased).  Previously I didn’t know when or where they died.  I’d assumed sometime before the 1860s/70s but it turns out they both died in 1897 in England…

Dublin Daily Express, 14 Apr 1897   
BROWNE - April 11, in London, Mathew Browne, solicitor, late of Dublin and Cahirciveen.

Dublin Daily Express, 14 Sep 1897   
BROWNE - September 7th, at her residence, Staplehurst, Kent, Margarette, beloved wife of the late Matthew Browne, Solicitor, of Dublin, Killarney, and Caherciveen.

There is a burial record on FindMyPast for Matthew Brown, buried at East Peckham Holy Trinity on the 17th April.  I’d assume Margarette was probably buried there too, but I don’t have a headstone transcription (if indeed there is one).

Going by the 1891 census, Matthew Browne was born in c1812 (which fits with the 1812 baptism I have for him) while Margarette Delany was born c1822.  I’ve not yet found any baptism record for her (I’m not even sure whether she’d have been Catholic or Protestant at birth).

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Monday 25 June 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
I looked at the Tithes and there were no Matthew Delany's in Cork but there was a Mathew Delaney in Kerry at Kiledellig, wherever that is.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 01 July 18 15:29 BST (UK) »
Matthew Delany was presumably the son of a younger son of Darby Delany of Glengariff, so he may have been a tradesman or something in or around the city of Cork.

I went back to follow the land leased to Darby Delany by Richard White in 1755.  I’m not sure why I didn’t find this one when I was going through the names index a couple of weeks ago:

1777 - Book 311 / Page 590 / Number 213077
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNH-89LR-D?i=317&cat=185720
Memorial of deed dated 10th Apr 1777 between Mary Delany widow and acting executrix of Patrick Delany late of Glengariff in the County of Cork Gent, of the one part, and Derby Delany eldest son of the said Patrick Delany, of the other part.  Mary Delany granted to Derby the lands of Corrigrave, Kaunrusky, Skehill, Derenafullow, Dromdower, Coubrany and Courafrevane being by estimation eleven gneeves and a quarter of the three plowlands of Glengariff together with the woods, coppices etc.  Also the tract of land from the bounds of Glengarriff westward to East Falia [Faha] together with the East Falia, West Falia and West Crohy being by estimation thirty cows and half of the three plough lands of Carrufadda situate in the Barony of Beer and Bantry.  Deed witnessed by James Lawlor and John Hewson [?] both of Dublin.  Memorial witnessed by John Hewson and Barns Donnelly of Dublin, manservant.

That doesn’t really tell us anything new – it just confirms Patrick Delany’s will.  I’ve been working through the Lands Index looking for Skehill and this is the next mention I can find:

1824 - Whites sell land to Reeves - Book 793 / Page 478 / Number 536213
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-7S6C-1?i=297&cat=185720
Memorial of deed dated 7th Jul 1824 between Rt Hon Richard Earl of Bantry, and his heir apparent Hon Richard White commonly called Viscount Beerhaven, of the first part, and Samluel Spaight Reeves of Dublin of the second part, and Edward Reeves of Dublin of the third part.  The Whites, for the purposes of barring docking and destroying all the estate’s tail, did sell to the said Samuel Spaight Reeves the lands of … [about 30 townlands including West Faha, East Faha, East Crohe, Skeahill / Skehill etc].

1825 - Book 806 - Pages 154-155 (which are actually about 10 pages)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-Q39T-J?i=117&cat=185720
Deed involving the Whites.  Lists many townlands (including Faha, Skehill etc), the names of tenants, dates and lengths of rentals.  But no Delany mentioned!

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 01 July 18 15:51 BST (UK) »
Possible brother for Patrick Delany (i.e. my ancestor?) is the Daniel Delany who was witness to Patrick’s will, according to the Thrift extract on FindMyPast (see page 2 of this thread).

A Derby Delany was baptised in 1762 at St Finbarr’s in Cork City – parents Daniel Delany and Ann Murphy.

This could be the Daniel Delany “of the City of Cork clothier” mentioned in another Thrift extract:

Joseph Phayne of Killmallock in the co of Limerick tyler, Daniel Delany of the city of Cork clothier and Richard Gardner of the same clother bound unto Jemmett Lord Bishop of Cork and Ross in the sum of £1000.  Dated 27th Jan 1763.  Above [bounden?] Joseph Phayne may solemnise matrimony with Mary Gilbert of the parish of St Peter Cork spinster.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 01 July 18 16:58 BST (UK) »
Ireland Diocesan And Prerogative Wills & Administrations Indexes 1595-1858
1747 – Daniel Delany, clothier (Cork Diocese).  Not clear what this is referring to.  Probate is stroked out and it says bond, so it could be his marriage…?

1757 – Daniel Delany, Cork.  This looks more like a probate.

1768 – Way [May?] Delany – name of deceased Daniel Delany.  [There is a Daniel Delany of Kilkenny who died about this time – so that could be him.]

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 01 July 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
I started hunting through the RC church records (the index on FindMyPast) for Delanys in Cork and there are quite a few, so I ended up with a fairly random selection:

22nd Jan 1754 - Macroom, Co Cork
Daniell Delaney married Mary Mansfield

9th ___ 1754 – St. Finbarr’s, Cork City
Daniel Delany and Ann Delany present James Michachy and Cate Buckley.  Gallows Green ... by Dr. Shyne.

11th Jan 1761 – St. Finbarr’s, Cork City
Daniel and Mary, twins, children to Dennis Delany and Catherine [Mahony??]; sponsors for Daniel were Patrick Murphy and Honor Collins, and for Mary Owen Brallanghan [?] and Julian Cuningham.

9th Jan 1773 – St. Finbarr’s, Cork City
In Old Lane; Ellen daughter to Derby Delany and Mary Ful…? Van? Gps.. Jon [?] Sullivan and Ellenor Triny [?]

20th May 1777 – St. Finbarr’s, Cork City
Con [?] Delany + Margaret Cohobaun [??] – Doby [Darby?] Delany Margaret Coholan [witnesses??}

6th Feb 1787 – Kilmurry, Cork and Ross
Married Derby Delany and Margt Murphy …. Cros. Murphy, John Cullinane and Elizabeth Kelly [?].

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 01 July 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Slightly different approach looking for children with father Matthew Delany:

7th Apr 1813 – Baptism – Passage West, Cork and Ross
Ann of Mathew Delany and Anne Muthall.  Sponsors John Barry and Mary Murphy.

[There was a marriage licence bond in 1812 for Matthew Delany and Anne Mulhall]

11th Aug 1818 – Baptism – Dunmanway, Cork and Ross
Ellen of Mathew Delany and Catherine Mahony.  John Bayon [?] Ellen Mahony.  Kilbarry.

7th Dec 1823 – Baptism – Cobh, Cloyne
Mary Francis Delany of Mathew and Bridget.  Tho [?] Collins, Mrs Thomas.

2nd May 1827 – Baptism – Cobh, Cloyne
Mat Delany of Mat and Bridget.  Charles and Anne Delany.

These last two could correspond to the Matthew Delany of “Cove” who died in 1828 aged 40 leaving “five helpless orphans”.

Offline John Falvey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 01 July 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether I posted this one:

Memorial: 234976 1st February 1783 Henry Arthur Herbert of Muckross in the County of Kerry Esq
“of the one part & Hugh Falvey of Fahaugh in the sd County Esq wherby the sd Henry Arthur Herbert did demise unto the sd Hugh Falvey all that & those the Town Lands of Killcluhirrane and Coolaworeen ……. lately held by ……. to the sd Hugh Falvey his heirs … & adms for the lives of John Falvey Esq and Maria Falvey both Children of sd Hugh Falvey & of Jas Delaney son of Patk Delaney late of Glangarriff in the Coy of Cork Gent” refers 17th March 1780.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-19CN-Z?i=298&cat=185720

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 01 July 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
I don’t think I’ve seen that one before.  It’s the only other reference I can think of to James Delany.

The lands left to him by Patrick Delany looks like “Knockenmuskullagh”.  I haven’t quite figured out where that is yet.

Have you seen any updates to this lease which perhaps record when/whether the lives ‘expired’?