Author Topic: Devereux in Pontypridd  (Read 9888 times)

Offline alexis devereux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Devereux in Pontypridd
« on: Wednesday 29 June 05 16:34 BST (UK) »
Looking for any Devereux in Pontypridd.
My grandmother Ann(Annie, Anna, Anne) was born there in 1903.
I have been told there was a big family of them in the area - The Gride (?) or Tower Street. Any information would be gratefully received.

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Devereux in Pontypridd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 16:46 BST (UK) »
any other siblings or parents names ?

rgds joanne
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jo New

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again

MR & MRS Devereux & family of 9living at     "CREGA" in Neath

could they be yours ?

rgds joanne
UK Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexis devereux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 18:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you Joanne.
I don't know. All  members of the direct line to me are dead. Anne had a brother Frank who died with no issue. Anne is dead and there is no record of anyone else.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexis,

Welcome to RootsChat !!

there is a Graig in Ponty(pridd), "up the Graig, in Ponty"  pronounced Grige (both G's are hard)

maybe that's the 'Gride'.

Just had a quick look in the 1901 census, there were an awful lot of Devereux in Glamorgan,  mostly coal miners, mostly born in various areas near Pontypridd and in the Rhondda.

Mainly Ystradyfodwg  and Neath,which is down near Swansea, so unlikely to be your family, although they were probably all related.

Ystradyfodwg is more likely, as it was later annexed to Llantrisant, and the Graig is a "short cut" over the mountain, between Pontypridd and Llantrisant. A big area around Pontypridd is still called Pontypridd, although they are different parishes.
So if they lived near the boundary between Ystradyfodwg and Pontypridd, they could have said they lived in Ponty.

Hope this helps a bit, but probably the biggest help would be if you knew, or could find, a few more names of the families.

Good luck,
Bob
(ex resident of - but not an expert on - Pontypridd and the Rhondda )
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 18:50 BST (UK) »
ps.

Just looked on GENUKI,
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Ystradyfodwg/

there is a link to a map of Glamorgan there,
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/GLAImgMap.html

and Neath isn't so-o-o far away, if you go up the Rhondda and then over the divide, down to Swansea and Neath, so it is more than likely that the Devereux families are all related somehow.

The GENUKI page brings back memories, we lived in Maerdy for a while, and I went to school in Ferndale, before we moved down the valley, to Cilfynydd in Pontypridd
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline alexis devereux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Berlin-Bob.
I didn't expect to get  replies so quickly !

I believe we had relations in Swansea, but alas no more than that, it seems that path over the hills was well worn.

A trip to the old home ( Treforrest) seems very likely and a walk up over the hills at the back of the old tech ( I used to collect bluebells for my nan there - she always smiled but apparently hated the things).

Many thanks for your time and interest

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 June 05 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexis,

your welcome. You're not the first to ask about relations from Pontypridd, but your posting must of hit the memory chord or something !!

the old tech. in Treforest ??  Used to be the School of Mines, then became Glamorgan College of Technology, (where I studied Maths) and then became Glamorgan Polytechnic, and is I believe, now the Uni. of Glamorgan !

My brother lives in Llantrisant, and when I visit him I hardly recognise "my" Taff Valley, from over 35 years ago !

Good luck with your search,
Bob

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 September 05 10:53 BST (UK) »
My Mum lived on the Graig as a child and the family (Hampton) was pretty close to a Devereux family. It was pronounced 'Devrix', I think.

I'll ask her about it.
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck