Author Topic: Josiah VACHER early 1700s Milton Abbas area - help, any info?  (Read 3765 times)

Offline maryanne stillsearching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Josiah VACHER early 1700s Milton Abbas area - help, any info?
« on: Wednesday 03 September 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Trying to identify the "right" Josiah Vacher from fragments of information.  Any suggestions or data _most gratefully_ appreciated!  He is the father of Benjamin Vacher who was christened Milton Abbas 11 November 1753, parents Josiah Vacher and Jane.  Benjamin appears to be their only child.

What I have from the digitised parish registers of Milton Abbas is-
.Benjamin's christening, citing parent's names
. marriage record for Josiah Vacher and Jane Sanders (also Saunders) 22 Oct 1749

I can also find, from Dorset OPC, the parish records, and other internet sources such as IGI -
. marriage records for Josiah Vacher and Sarah Hox, Dec 24 1733
. birth record Sarah Vacher, parents Josiah Vacher and Sarah, chr 29 May 1736
. burial record for Sarah Vacher, infant, 16 Mar 1737
. burial record for Sarah Vacher Jan 1, 1746/45 (yes, very neat, a previous marriage, could be..)
Also
.christening record for Josiah Vacher, March 1, 1731 parents Andrew and Jane (Legg)
.christening record for Josias Vacher, 26 Dec 1710 parents Jethro and Mary
   all Milton Abbas records.

Has anyone followed these families enough to have a piece of defining data - or, any suggestions to determine a pretty accurate confirmation of which Josiah is Benjamin's father?  Most genealogies I've seen online go for Josiah-son-of-Jethro and assign two marriages, but I haven't yet found anything that says, for example, "Josiah Vacher, widower, marrying Jane Sanders".

Unfortunately, as I'm doing all this from Australia, a quick trip to Milton Abbas isn't really doable (sniff).   Looking at family names didn't give me any pointers, as the names Andrew, Jethro, Josiah and Mary appear again and again in both families - I suspect they're something-cousins ultimately, anyway.  Any suggestions would be wonderful!   Josiah, BTW, is my 7x g-grandfather.

Many thanks to any Vacher-experts
Cheers  maz

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Josiah VACHER early 1700s Milton Abbas area - help, any info?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
parish burials,

1774   4-May   Josiah     Milton Abbas, Dorset
1789   7-Apr   Josiah Vacher   Stinsford, Dorset
1818   22-Feb   Josiah Vatcher   Batcombe, Dorset   Age 88   Born 1730

not exactly sure if this helps or adds to the problem. :P
However.. the Batcombe one would fit with being the son of Andrew and Jane Legg.    

also if your Benjamin is the one that ran Heckford farm..
21 feb 1814 salisbury and winchester journal is the notice of quitting the farm. :)
Brunton, Binnington, in Cullercoats
Paterson, Anderson in Fifeshire
Vacher, Vatchers, Vatyers, (other various spellings) , in Dorsetshire
Marchams, in Oxfordshire / Berkshire (depending on date)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 14 12:39 BST (UK) »
Argh.  There are too many Josiahs in Dorset, cluttering up me research and causing me angst...  :) :) :)

Ah well.  I shall just have to make some arbitrary decisions (the josiah born in Cheselbourne in 1759 can _probably_ be discounted, put at bottom of list) and keep on researching.
Thank you for the Benjamin Vacher reference, it does seem to be the Benjamin son of Josiah, father  of the _right- Elizabeth I am following.  I'll follow it up.
Many thanks!
   cheers   maz

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 14 14:09 BST (UK) »
lol try Richard Vachers... Fyi don't forget that Vatcher and vacher and I've recently found out Vatyer are all interchangeable once you get back this far. everything was done with how it sounded so i tend to sound it in my head in phonics and if it fitsish then its a possibility. its amusing how many way it can be spelt especially if you factor in a Dorset accent! :P

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
Try FreeREG, www.freereg.org.uk.
At present only Vacher Marriages on there but new records are being added by volunteers all the time.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DebPat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 14 14:36 BST (UK) »
I transcribe for them. Grin. I have a huge file on vacher and so.  It you want I can email it to you? Can send that article as well. X

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks trish, now currently looking into freereg to see what it turns up... for all sorts of lines.  :)

Deb - at one stage i was looking at Elizabeth the daughter of Richard Vacher, and you're quite right.  I was _most_ relieved to find something conclusive to show Richard's daughter was not the Elizabeth I was looking at (THE most detailed will I have ever read!!! - she married a Best, not a Marder) and gave a sigh of relief.  Urgh.  Yes, I would love a copy of the Vacher etc file - and the Benjamin article, I'll send you my email.

My mat. grandfather was Patrick Vatcher Bone, his brother John Marder Bone.  When my mother and I started this family research nearly 30 years ago (nothing online!!) and found their mother was Harriet Marder, we surmised the Vatcher was also a past family surname.  I liked it so much, my son is named Luke Andrew Vatcher (Puckridge).  i was totally stoked (ahem, teenage kids) to find out 18 months ago that yes, the Vatcher is a surname - Elizabeth Vacher was my 3g-grandmother. 
Looking forward to your file       cheers   maz

Offline John Greenwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 February 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a Elizabeth and John vacher in my tree from early to mid 1800s if anyone is interested.