Author Topic: Accidental death inquest in Windsor 1939  (Read 9605 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental death inquest in Windsor 1939
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi carol- thank you for all your help- I now have Bertram Varney completed- sadly ;( However- have you seen the suggested possible links for his sister Marth kate Varney- someone suggested the link between Osborne House in Cowes- where the varneys lived- and Windosr Castle- near sunninghill. I have had a quick look on the Royal Household link on Find My Past- bit would that list absolutely everyone to the lowest level? There is the snippet of info from my late mother in law re someone working at windsor Castle that i have never managed to locate- could this possibly give me a lead into tracing Martha Kate Varney (born Cowes 1897)? What do you think?

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:40 BST (UK) »
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would contact the address on thbe website and ask if they have any record of a Martha Kate Varney.

I remember contacting them many years ago whensome distant rellie was on a census as a maid at Windsor castle. They found one record of her if I remember rightly. And confirmeed surviving recoirds were patchy.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 September 14 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you all! I have today written a letter to the Archives at Windsor Castle and will post any progress thatIi make in due course! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! But thank you for making me think of this possible scenario! Maybe mother in law's casual comment years ago about someone working at the Castle may have some significance after all!

Caroline :)
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline flipflops

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
Regarding Pinewood House, it is possible that it was used as requisition housing. There's an anecdotal explanation of it here.http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/stories/21/a8118821.shtml Private houses were also used for various official doings, eg for convalesence, childrens' clinics etc .
Barefoot, Barley, Bedborough, Benett, Blandy, Brown, Clements, Doucett, Fisher, Franklin, Goodchild, Greenwood, Heath, Horwood, Osmond, Westbury: Berks/Berks and Wilts.

Woodhouse: Montgomeryshire

Booth, Braddock, Drabble, Hatton, Henshaw, Whitehead: Tameside and Cheshire