Author Topic: Doyles of Wicklow, Avoca  (Read 7151 times)

Offline maz591

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doyles of Wicklow, Avoca
« on: Friday 05 September 14 02:02 BST (UK) »
I have hit a brickwall.  I am looking for any information on the DOYLE family of Avoca, Wicklow.

The information I have from a rootsireland.ie search is that Matthew and Mary DOYLE had
Elizabeth 1838
Margaret 1840
James 1843
Letitia 1846
Catherine 1849

There are two other children that I cannot find a baptism listing for
Mary Ann 1837 (my Great Great grandmother)
Eleanor 1852

I am also unable to find and marriage entry for Matthew DOYLE and Mary MCEWAN.

The records I most want to find are proving to be the ones I can’t find.  Mary Ann’s baptism and the marriage of her parents

Further information:
I have Victorian (Australia) death and marriage records for Mary Ann, Elizabeth, and Margaret that mention the birthplace for Wicklow, Avoca and parents Matthew Doyle and Mary MCKEON / MCEWAN .  The others appear on a passenger list arriving in South Australia in 1858 saying they came for Wicklow.
The MCEWAN name is only connected to the three oldest girls as they married and died in Victoria which has more information on its BMD Certificates.  I am only assuming they the same Matthew and Mary Doyle as the birthplace is the same for all the children I have found and all have connections to South Australia, but did not arrive together.

I live in Australia and am mostly interested in any Irish information that can be found.

Marion

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Doyles of Wicklow, Avoca
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:15 BST (UK) »
Avoca has very good records on the rootsireland site so it's very possible that Mary's surname was just been mistranscribed on the missing records OR they were illegible given their age.

Were you ever made aware of Matthew Doyle's profession ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Seemingly Avoca used to be known as Newbridge (NB NOT to be confused with the Newbridge in County Kildare).

Avoca is NOT showing up on GV SO I'm wondering was it still known as Newbridge at the time of the GV (help from Wicklow experts appreciated here).

Anyway,

Newbridge Wicklow DOES show up on GV

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/wicklow/castlemacadam.htm

There is a Matthew Doyle in Ballymoneen, Cronebane, Knockanree Lower & Kilmacoo Upper

This could be three different men OR the one man with land in each area.

PLEASE NOTE at this stage I'm not saying that this IS your Matthew JUST a possibility.

I know that there is a Ballymoneen in Avoca, there is a Cronebane in Avoca, there is a Knockanree in Avoca, and there is a Kilmacoo in Avoca SO to surmise the above GV is defo for the Avoca region.

By any chance were any of the above townlands mentioned in your family OR in records ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 21:45 BST (UK) »
TOTAL long shot here but the age makes him a possibility if nothing else !

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Cronebane/Kilmacoo/1815174/

Tara

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 18:07 BST (UK) »
Date of births are prior to Civil Registration 1864, if possible find out parish name and then find adjoining parishes for baptisms

familysearch.org is worth trying out also

Offline maz591

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 September 14 04:23 BST (UK) »
Tara,

To try and answer your questions.  I have searched rootsireland for the marriage searching the entire county of Wicklow with several spelling variations and get nothing that seems to be a possibility.  The closest matching result was actually 10 years too late.

Regarding Matthews profession, he is listed as a Contractor in 1859 on the Wedding certificate of Mary Ann.  On her death certificate in 1906 he is described as a Labourer.  On Elizabeth’s and Margaret’s death certificates in 1890 and 1918 Matthew is listed as a Miner.

We have no family stories from this time to connect to another place, just what I may find while researching.

Thanks for the census suggestion.  I am going to discount it at this time as his daughter in the census is a named Kate born c1863 and a rootsireland search does not work for a mother named Mary.

Marion

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Marion

1. Yes, the census was a LONG shot  :)

2. The occupations that you gave for Matthew certainly fit in with the Avoca area as there were copper mines there, so most likely that was where he worked.

3. Given the nature of the mining industry here at the time though it's VERY possible that Matthew was transient for work which means his marriage could have taken in another parish OR another county ( not all areas are covered on rootsireland)

4. Was there ever any suggestion that Matthew and Mary may also have emmigrated ?

5. For now I would just concentrate on the three girls whom you know for a fact had Mary McEwan (and variants) as their Mum ~ Doyle is WAY too common an Irish surname to presume that the other's were family too, don't discard them but as I say just concentrate on those that you are 100% sure of.

6. Can you tell me EXACTLY what variations of Matthew's wife Mary's maiden name that you have seen on AUSTRALIAN paperwork ?!

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Some good news for you :

I think I have found Matthew's marriage

On rootsireland there is a marriage for a MATT DOYLE & MARY MCKEOAGH

In 1835 in Avoca Wicklow

As you have used this site before I am sure that you are aware that you will only get a transcription of the church marriage record.

It will be random as to what other info other than the basics will be on it !

Tara