Author Topic: The Dibben girls of Sturminster 1800s: 3 missing marriages!  (Read 3785 times)

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Dibben girls of Sturminster 1800s: 3 missing marriages!
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello RootsChatters: I believe I have an interesting puzzle for you all.

William and Mary Dibben (married at Ansford, Somerset 1790) had 3 or 4 feisty long-lived daughters that I'd foolishly imagined died young or hooked up with local labourers and dropped off the map. Not at all!

They married EIGHT times and I've found 5 marriages, but three crucial weddings are missing. Who can help?

Issue: -
Mary Dibben born 1790 Henstridge, dies 1870s Guernsey
marriage needed: William Jones, likely from Wales, Lieutenant Marines, later Captain in 4th or 5th regiment of foot
Children born Sussex, Wiltshire, Wales, Plymouth, Dorset, Guernsey from about 1812 to 1830

William Dibben born 1790s, named as W D junior when witnessing Rebecca's 2nd marriage 1823, no further information

Rebecca Dibben born 1794 Tarrant Gunville, d 1865 Brighton
Marriage needed: Mr Cox, issue: Rebecca Cox 1815-1892 born Guernsey
m2 1823 Sturminster Newton PC, Abraham Mackreth of Cockermouth (dies weeks later leaving pregnant widow), builder
m3 1828 (approx) Sturminster Newton PC, John Spragg market gardener of Ringwood, Hampshire. Left will 1837
m4 1844 Sturminster Newton (thanks FamilySearch!), William Spicknell, much younger innkeeper, Ringwood, Hampshire, later of lunatic asylum

Jane Dibben born 1796 Tarrant Gunville, d 1883 Brighton
Marriage needed: John Williams
m2 1834 Bloomsbury London as Jane Dibben spinster of Stur. Newton, Richard Griffiths Welford
Issue by Williams: Jane Elizabeth 1822-30, Ellen 1825-73, John b/d 1826 all baptised and 2 buried at Marlborough Wiltshire
R G Welford was a country solicitor managing estates in Marlborough later called to the Bar as barrister.
In 1841 John Williams is living with the Welfords and dies with them at Northaw Herts about 1844 leaving everything to Jane. Likely he was her former father in law.
Family lore is that Jane's first husband was a soldier

Elizabeth Dibben born 1798 Tarrant Gunville, died 1885 Brighton
m 1820s Sturminster Newton PC (have details), Matthias Dowding widower and has issue. Is visiting sister's family on Guernsey, 1851. Not as interesting as her older siblings. Her elderly father living with her family 1841, and 1851 (though she is away), he dies Ringwood 1852 aged 88.

If anyone can spot the 3 missing marriages do leave a message. Possibly in Wiltshire, though I did think this had been indexed. Guernsey looking now very likely.

These ladies' stories have been hidden awhile so will be nice to air them. Yes, we are aware of the India, Aboriginal, Wembley, Carterets, Tasmanian, Adelaide hills connections among their fascinating issue, it's the missing marriages we need now :)

Granddaughter Jane Elizabeth Jones 1820 married at some point to Giovanni Leone from Naples. Leone's son was Salvator Francis Leone born about 1845 Italy, so this final missing marriage occurred some time after 1845, likely in USA.

Thanks very much.

David
SOM: CREED, HAINE, MURROW, BOND, PORTCH
CRN: SHUGG, BOWDEN, PEARCE, TREWHELLA, HARRIS, HUNTER, RODDA, LOWRY, MARSHALL, BURN, STEPHENS
GLA/CARM: MORTON, MORGAN, EVANS (CADOXTON)
MON: EVANS (BASSALEG)
PEM: FRANCIS, PHILLIPS
DBY: CARLINE, FOX, BAGSHAW, ROBINSON
NBL: GIBSON, DODD, CHARLTON, HEPPELL
CUM: DODD, MOSES
WES: AIREY, BARNETT, MELLRAY, HOLME
NFK: SMITH, FLOWERS, LAIN, MANSER, LANE
IRE: WALSH, CLEARY, DAWSON, CARROLL
.... Yes I am a mongrel!

Offline Robert Foote

• RootsChat Extra
  • Tracing paternal and maternal lines and sides.
    • View Profile
Re: The Dibben girls of Sturminster 1800s: 3 missing marriages!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 17 19:44 BST (UK) »
I found this in the Sturminster Newton Parish records;

7 Apr 1825/John SPRAGG of Ringwood, Hants/Rebecca   MACKRITH   /William Miller, John Inkpen/Licence

Foot - Sturminster, Manston, Child Okeford, Cann, Iwerne (both of them), Boscombe, Bournemouth.
Wareham - Anywhere mid dorset or Southampton.
Niblock - Belfast

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robert. Yes we have that, it's alluded to in original message. It's Rebecca's previous, first, marriage that's missing (to a Thomas Cox innkeeper sometime of Guernsey). And her two sisters' first marriages. The niece's marriage to Giovanni Leone turns up in Paris, France. They are an interesting bunch.
CRN: SHUGG, BOWDEN, PEARCE, TREWHELLA, HARRIS, HUNTER, RODDA, LOWRY, MARSHALL, BURN, STEPHENS
.... Yes I am a mongrel!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:40 BST (UK) »
If Jane claims to be a spinster on her 'second' marriage, are you sure she married to Mr Williams?

What does the will of John Williams say, regarding any relationship to Jane?

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Good question(s). The will just says to Jane Dibben (no mention of relationship). Her marriage to husband number two definitely says spinster. It does seem to point to there being no marriage. Strange behaviour for the early 1800s, middle classes. Her second husband was a barrister with a private road into London.
.... Yes I am a mongrel!

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
The will says to Jane Dibben, not Williams nor Welford?  When was it written?

John Williams in that 1841 census is in the next household, and appears to have been born in Foreign Parts.
Was he also a soldier?
Will this be his death
GRO index  John Williams age 86 March quarter 1846 at Hatfield and Welwyn vol 6 page 340 (Age difference from 1841 census?)

Offline student325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 August 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
hi there.  You're quite right, Jane was listed as Jane Welford in the will (of John Williams).  If you can bear to, I recorded three videos about the family.  Far too long.  I might one day (some day) re-record at double the speed.  It gets going at 4:30, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ONKkFV5C18 and the portion about Jane begins at 10:30.  She's a pretty interesting lady.  I didn't have John Williams's date of death so thanks for that.  As you can see there is a gap between the will being written and it being proven with the death you found (1846) falling neatly in-between.  Jane Welford's great-grandson, raised on a coffee farm in Mysore, India, painted the White Horse of Wembley in about 1923.  I believe her photograph has recently emerged too.  Can post here if interested.
.... Yes I am a mongrel!