Author Topic: Upton  (Read 9165 times)

Offline rhansonb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upton
« on: Sunday 14 September 14 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Rhonda Hanson and I am new to searching ..I have been able to locate a great deal on My Mothers side of the family . but when I try on my fathers side I get stuck at His maternal grandfather..what I know about Him is His name is John (jno ) Patrick Upton and He was born in 1878 either on Oct 2 or 3 , in Waterford Ireland , I know His mothers name was Margaret Coffey Born in 1847 in Waterford as well .. His Father I believe was Robert Upton .. date of birth ..1945... He was from Barker Street ..... but from that I can not find anything nor am I sure the information other that His Mothers name is accurate and I collected her name from His Naturalization papers signed in Mobile , Alabama USA

I am not where where to look at this point
any guidance would be appreciated

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
Re: Upton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 September 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
From FamilySearch

Name:    John Patrick Upton
Birth Date:    20 Sep 1878
Birthplace:    Waterford, Ireland
Father's Name:    Robert Upton
Father's Birthplace:    Barker Street
Mother's Name:    Margaret Coffey

there is also:
a daughter Mary born 26th September 1873 in Woodstown, Waterford and a daughter Elizabeth born 25th September 1875 in Waterford

Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
A possiblity for Margaret (Coffey) Upton in 1911 census (married 43 years, 6 children/5 living)- married but alone on census night

Same Margaret Upton in 1901 with several children but still no husband:
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Waterford/Waterford_Urban_No__4/Roche_s_Street/1762598

The number of years married in 1911 (43 so c1868) is a good match to this marriage:
Robert Upton 1869 volume 19 page 491 Waterford registration district (a Margaret Coffey on same page).

Looks like Robert Upton could have worked on the boats between Waterford & England (would explain why he wasn't at home in either census). An online tree matches him to a crew list in Dorset, England in 1872 but only 2 children (John Patrick & Elizabeth are listed). Another tree says Margaret Upton died 1902 & lists 3 children. None particular relaible looking but possibly other relatives searching for the same family might have more information by now.

P.S. click on 'report to moderator' to ask for this topic to be moved to Waterford board- people with more local knowledge might be able to provide more information or suggest where you can search next.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
One of the online trees gave Robert Upton born 'Barker Street' which is an error made by looking at this extracted birth record- posted by bevj earlier: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPT4-KYB
Irish birth certificates do not list father's birthplace. This is an LDS error. When a 'father's birthplace' is listed in extracted Irish births it means that the certificate lists that address under father's residence and the child was not born at home. For example, if child born at hospital (or granny's, etc.) that will be listed as place of birth but under father's name & occupation the home address will be listed (if father was informant then might be listed there again).

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 September 14 09:03 BST (UK) »
The RootsIreland website index indicates that the 1869 church marriage between Robert Upton and Margaret Coff(e)y took place in the RC parish of Trinity Within, Waterford City and that his father was Thomas Upton and hers was Patrick Coff(e)y.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 September 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Following a possible nautical link, I wonder if this might be the same Robert Upton:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8174077

I also found a passender list (1890) for a Robert Upton, age 43, Waterford going to New South Wales, Australia. If, and this is a big if, it's the same Robert Upton it would be another explanation why Margaret was 'married' yet without a husband in 1901 and 1911.

Offline rhansonb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Upton
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 September 14 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Rhonda Hanson and I am new to searching ..I have been able to locate a great deal on My Mothers side of the family . but when I try on my fathers side I get stuck at His maternal grandfather..what I know about Him is His name is John (jno ) Patrick Upton and He was born in 1878 either on Oct 2 or 3 , in Waterford Ireland , I know His mothers name was Margaret Coffey Born in 1847 in Waterford as well .. His Father I believe was Robert Upton .. date of birth ..1945... He was from Barker Street ..... but from that I can not find anything nor am I sure the information other that His Mothers name is accurate and I collected her name from His Naturalization papers signed in Mobile , Alabama USA

I am not where where to look at this point
any guidance would be appreciated

It was suggested that I move this request here in case there might be someone whom would know more about the subject..

I have for some reason this burning need to know something about my great great grandfather ...it seems from the little I do know a huge mystery about His life ...I have this feeling He was all alone in the US and that is rather sad ...

Offline rhansonb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 September 14 18:38 BST (UK) »

Thank You all for the information , so of that I was able to find but not knowing for sure if it was the same group of people ...I may sound silly but it is like a burning need to know a little about Him.. like why He left His family behind and headed to the US ?Did He remain in contact? Does anyone from His Irish side even remember Him ? I guess some questions will never be answered ...His child Mary Louise  never said a word about Him .. nor does any of her children know anything about John Patrick ,, that alone seems rather sad ,,, She never even once gave her mothers name to the children ... so as You can see it is a huge secret ... and a shame ...once more thank You all

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 September 14 19:05 BST (UK) »
The following Death record for Margaret Upton b.c. 1846 Registered in Waterford Registration District in July quarter 1921 Volume 4 Page 437. You can obtain a photocopy of the cert from www.groireland.ie . The cert may provide you with further clues as to the informant on it possible a family member.  :)