Author Topic: Edward Moate -- Male or Female  (Read 2937 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Moate -- Male or Female
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 12 December 15 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Alan
Don't be discouraged!
Your profile doesn't indicate where you are from but I'm guessing it's somewhere in Oz.
Can you get to your local library?
Most of them these days have subscriptions to Ancestry, FindMyPast, etc., which are free to use though you can't contact people with private trees via the library's sub (so I understand) so you might have to get friendly with another user who has a subscription  :P  :P  :P

Seems like your Edward Moate/Eliza Lynch was fairly well known in our southern states.   ;D
But to answer your original question, it seems definitely FEMALE  :o   :o   :o

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 12 December 15 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Edward Moate was indeed Eliza Lynch. This fact was discovered after she was admitted to Beechworth asylum. Eliza had married Richard Moate in 1855. I am not sure how long the marriage lasted as I am still researching this couple but I have found evidence that Eliza worked as a prostitute and was in trouble with the law on numerous occasions. She used several aliases to hide from police and also dressed as a man for several years, whilst working in the Omeo and Bright areas. She is buried at Beechworth cemetery as Edward Moate.

Welcome to RootsChat,

You probably would like to contact the chap who started this thread.   You will need to have made 3 posts before you can exchange Private/Personal Messages.    So, if you reply twice more on this thread you will have achieved that.   

Just say "Hi" or similar.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tom mix

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:14 GMT (UK) »
To Asylumgirl,

Our genealogy group met yesterday after the Xmas break and the person who made the initial enquiry about Edward Moate would be happy to communicate with you. Any chance?

Alan
Donougher, Bawden, Cahill, Mahon(e)y, Williams,
Kirby, Woods, Faherty

Offline rmems

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 September 19 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I know this is a very old thread but I'm researching this person for my thesis and very interested in any further info. So far I have checked out the newspaper records via Trove and the asylum records via the Public Record Office Victoria, but very keen for any other sources or info to pursue.

Cheers
Robin

Offline fionaetc

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 02:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robin,

I stumbled upon this fascinating story a few months back.

I found this story of Edward Moate  in the book 'Exposed' (page 217) by Richard Patterson.  I've been doing some research on Eliza Ryan (AKA Edward Moate) and her history (oftentimes coming up with conflicting information). I'm still trying to find out information from when she left her husband (Richard Thomas Moate) and their son, George. Richard Moate was charged with desertion on 27/2/1861, found and arrested on 30/10//1861; during his absence, the younger of Eliza and Richard's son, Edward, who was two, died.

Richard remarried in 1864, as far as I can discern. They went on to have eight children. Richard and Eliza's son, George was, I assume, raised by Richard and his second wife. When and why did Richard remarry, and where did Eliza go? The plot thickens... And I have no answers. :) Note: that Eliza took on her dead son's name in later years.

I'm assuming Eliza left Richard once he was returned to the family in 1861 - how or when, I don't know.

There's also a 15 year gap between 1861 and 1877 (ish), when she was  employed as a manservant, under the name of Edward Moate, to William Phipps, Clerk of Courts, in Omeo, who died suddenly in 1879, leaving his entire estate to Edward (Eliza)! Edward/Eliza then went on to work for Dr Benjamin Kinsey Warren in Bright. It all gets pretty murky, as Dr Warren shared a house with Mr Phipps when Edward/Eliza worked for Phipps. (Dr Warren practiced medicine in both Omeo and Bright.)

If you or anyone else have additional information, or if what I've found is incorrect in any way, I'd love to hear from you. (I noticed a former post said that Eliza worked as a prostitute and was in hiding from the law, but I can't find this info anywhere. Any search tips/info regarding Eliza's story from 1861 to 1877 would be appreciated!)

The plot has indeed thickened!