Author Topic: What churches were two brothers baptised at based on FHL Film No. sources?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What churches were two brothers baptised at based on FHL Film No. sources?
« on: Friday 26 September 14 14:17 BST (UK) »
There are two daughters births and baptisms recorded with one known church but it seems that two brothers were baptised elsewhere.
Ancestry gives FHL Film numbers as their source, but I can't discern the church, or more likely the chapel, these baptisms were performed at.
One was before the birth of the two daughters prior to the parents moving around 1827 and one after the daughters in the new home 8 miles or so away.

Anyone in this time and place was spoilt for chioice as to which to attend. Is anyone able to tell me which church/chapel/denomination the brothers were baptised at? Or direct me to some resolution?
Regards
Jon

David Jones baptised 15th May 1825 at Meifod  (Ancestry: FHL Film No. 104813)

Family moved from Meifod to Talwrn-Bach a small-holding on Bodynfol Estate between Llanfechain and Llanfyllin

On 5th Mar 1828 and 21st June 1830 two daughters Mary and Catherine were born who are both recorded as baptised at the Independent Pendref Congregational church in Llanfyllin.

The Pendref baptism register runs to to  March 1835 but doesn't record the baptism of a brother born 1833/34. Have the parents switched their allegiance?

Thomas Jones is recorded by Ancestry as baptised in Llanfechain on the 16th June 1833 (Ancestry: FHL Film No. 104829).

Parents are Edward Jones, variously Labourer, Farmer or Butcher and Sarah Jones nee Morris

Neither David nor Thomas are recorded in:
Llanfyllin Weslyan Circuit, Register of Baptisms 1811 - 1866 (Montgomeryshire Genealogical Society) which included Meifod and Llanfechain

Possible chapels (omitting churches) for baptism of Thomas:
Genuki:Llanfechain:
Wesleyan, built 1833             
Peniel, Wesleyan Methodist, built 1834
Zoar, Calvinistic Methodist, built 1827   

Genuki:Llanfyllin:
Sion Chapel, Llanfyllin, Baptist, 1836
Capel Newydd, Town of Llanfyllin, Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, c 1810
Pendu/Pendref, Independent, 1707, re-built 1830
Bethel, Particular Baptist, 1823     
Llawr y Cwm, Calvinistic Methodist, 1830
Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What churches were two brothers baptised at based on FHL Film No. sources?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 September 14 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi

FHL stands for Family History Library, if you look up the Film Number on Familysearch.org you will find the churches/chapels covered.

Findmypast has many Welsh records including the image of David Jones baptism 15th May 1825. It also looks to have the baptism for Thomas Jones 1833 but I'm unable to check the image.

Andy

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 September 14 13:37 BST (UK) »
I don't currently have access FindMyPast and see that FHL does list the Churches and Chapels these baptisms could have been performed in but there's quite a few. The Free BMD Dusty Docs gives all three below as in the 'Parish Church' but I'd like confirmation if anyone with access can check this?  Did the parents really switch from Parish Church to Independent Congregational then back to Parish Church?

There are other parents of the same name in Meifod so besides looking for which Church or Chapel they were baptised in I really need to confirm they are the same parents for Sarah and David as well if possible.

Sarah Jones daughter of Edward and Sarah Jones, baptised 16th February 1817, Meifod

David Jones son of of Edward and Sarah, baptised 15th May 1825 in Meifod

Thomas Jones son of of Edward and Sarah baptised on the 16th June 1833 in Llanfechain
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 September 14 04:38 BST (UK) »
I have to recommend the FindMyPast Powys BMD Record sets, complete with images. Easily worth the subscription if you are working in that area

My attempts of transcriptions are

16 Feb 1817 Sarah  Dau of Edward & Sarah Jones Teirtry               Labourer W Williams Curate
15 May 1825 David  Son of Edward & Sarah Jones Teirtry               Labourer By the Vicar, ? Williams
16 Jun 1833 Thomas Son of Edward & Sarah Jones Talw?n Llan Township  Butcher  Thos Griffith, Curate

To me they look like the CoE Parish Churches
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 October 14 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Edward Jones started out attending Meifod Parish Church baptising children Sarah and David there. Then moving nearer to between Llanfyllin and Llanfechain joined Pendref Independent Congregational Church - linked to Welsh hymn writer and poet Anne Griffiths (1776 -1805) who, when married, also lived in Miefod. In 1833 Pendref is said to have been attracting 500 worshipers as opposed to the 300 in Llanfyllin parish church.

Pendref was being rebuilt at the time as one daughter was baptised in the old church and one in the new rebuilt red-brick one. However four years on, still living in the same place his son was baptised at Llanfechain Parish Church. May be disillusioned with the Independent movement or just more convenient.

Jon
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell