Author Topic: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW  (Read 34001 times)

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William DAVIS married to Martha ORME/HOLMES 1/2/1869, Collector, NSW
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

From the NSW BDM registration only for the death of William DAVIS, #1898/2906, registered Berry District, can you please type up the following details :  (sometimes fresh eyes spot a tiny clue ... it only takes a tiny clue to eat away at the mortar in a family history brickwall  :) )

The certificate is #1892/2906 - is that what you meant?

Re the photo
I am wondering if the sepia colouring in the 1920s photographs  influences the suggestion of Aboriginal heritage.  Perhaps DNA testing may be the way to go.   

There are a few people still living that remember their grandparents having dark skin colouring.  In fact, my mother exclaimed when I told her about the possible Aboriginal heritage - that's why my grandmother had such dark skin! 

Re Contacting the Diocese,
Yes, if you have exhausted all the other tips, then perhaps a snail mail letter enclosing photocopy of the NSW BDM document,  asking for their suggestions may be the way to go (explaining where you have already tried, and noting the missing witnesses .... to me that is significant, as though the Rev missed recording these on at least one register ....  :-\ ).  Remember of course that at this time of the year, it is Advent and the volunteers may be involved in current programs within the parish and within their own home life too.   

I will write to them but perhaps not until after Christmas, when all has settled.  Hopefully something will come up in the mean time and I won't have to contact them.  :)

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 01:23 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks,   :) 

yes, best to wait until New Year to seek out the register.

I will see what I can find from the info on that dc.    :)

The informant as a police constable at Berry would be the stumbling block to the lack of family history info.  Between the policeman and the undertaker, no-one mentions the cemetery.  To me, that seems an oversight, and no mention of a Reverend...   

Is it a real deal certificate, or perhaps could it be a partial transcription .....  Also if a real deal certificate, is it one issued this century or much much earlier ....   :)

Even  his age .... "50 years" becomes possible as a guess rather than a confirmed fact.   I might have some Ettinghausen family papers from the era.... 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks,   :) 

yes, best to wait until New Year to seek out the register.

I will see what I can find from the info on that dc.    :)

Thank you!

The informant as a police constable at Berry would be the stumbling block to the lack of family history info.  Between the policeman and the undertaker, no-one mentions the cemetery.  To me, that seems an oversight, and no mention of a Reverend...   

Is it a real deal certificate, or perhaps could it be a partial transcription .....  Also if a real deal certificate, is it one issued this century or much much earlier ....   :)

Even  his age .... "50 years" becomes possible as a guess rather than a confirmed fact.   I might have some Ettinghausen family papers from the era.... 

It is a full transcript that I had done in June 2013 by Laurence Turtle who is an authorised transcription agent.

If you happen to find something it would be wonderful. 

Cheers,  JM

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 02:53 GMT (UK) »
I have not found any mention of that falling load of hay in any of the digitised newspapers either....

http://www.cifhs.com/default.html  apologies, I should have mentioned this link earlier.

Cheers, JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jemappelle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 00:59 GMT (UK) »
I've contacted the Berry Family History centre to see if they have anything on William and the accident.  Fingers crossed!

Offline knows a lot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 09:46 GMT (UK) »
The story I was told - that the horse got startled, wagon lurched, William Davis fell off the wagon and he was fatally injured when a wheel went over him.

Offline Kannk0262

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 11 July 16 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi knows a lot.

I am an Aboriginal Woman but through a different lineage..
I've been advised to research the Davis's though as it's been suggested that theres Aboriginality through my Davis lineage as well..

I found your comments on this thread on a search on google & they have been very helpful..you seem fairly knowledgeable! although I understand everyones focus is William Davis.. But would you have any more information you could share on James Davis & Mary Mundy?

Thankyou

Offline knows a lot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 11 July 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
ELLEN NEENAN (c1829 – 1873)
also known as ELLEN MUNDAY and ELLEN LYON

WILLIAM MUNDAY (c1808 – 1857)
THOMAS LYON (c1810 – 1895)

Ellen Neenan was born circa 1829.  No record of the birth.  Birth place is currently unknown, but probably in the St. Marys’ region, west of Parramatta. Ellen married William Munday at All Saints Church of England, Sutton Forest  2nd June 1843.  Ellen could read and write, but William was illiterate.  No consents given for that marriage.  The marriage record does not reveal any of their parent’s names.

Witnesses at the marriage were John Wales and Mira Waite, both of Mittagong. (The Waite family owned property at Sutton Forest).

William Munday was from Somersetshire in England and arrived in Australia as a convict on the ship “Burell” 19th December 1830.  He had been convicted for housebreaking and also had a previous gaol term of  3 months. On the 30th March 1828 at Taunton England, he was sentenced to transportation to Australia for life.

He was described as age 20,  5 feet 7 inches tall, ruddy complexion, brown hair, hazel/grey eyes, no education, protestant, blacksmith for 3 years. He had tattoos of a sailing ship on the upper part of body, anchor on lower part, anchor on right arm, the initials WMMMWM on left arm.

An 1837 NSW General Return of Convicts describes William Mundy  in the service of Willmott Jasper of Berrima NSW.  He was later granted his freedom and soon after, apparently enlisted in the NSW colonial army. He died 15 May 1857 at Goulburn hospital and was buried 17 May 1857 at Goulburn. On his death certificate it states that he was 45, married to Ellen Neeman. Upwards 20 years in NSW. Farmer – soldier – then nightwatchman.

Six known children to the marriage.

MARTHA MUNDAY  born 14 July 1844 at Mittagong.
WILLIAM MUNDAY  born 26 December 1846 at Bumbolloway.
JOHN MUNDAY  born 19 March 1849 at Bombarlow.
JAMES MUNDAY  born 14 November 1851at Bombarlow.
MARY MUNDAY  born 2 August 1853 at Bombarlow.
ELLEN MUNDAY  born 3 July 1855 at Bombala. (Probably meant to be Bumballa).

A research of land records does not reveal a property or parish called Bumbolloway. In 1822, a Mr. Jenkins and his family were the residents and land owners of a large property called Bumballa (in the county of Camden), which was located south of Sutton Forest.  Old land maps reveal Bumballa parish joined onto the parish of Marulan in the county of Argyle. In the parish of Marulan, there was a large property called Bombarlow and in 1828, the landholder’s name was William Chisholm. William Munday probably was a labourer or farmer  employed by William Chisholm.

Prior to 1857, all references to the above Munday family reveal them located in areas between Mittagong and Marulan. Research by Berrima Family History Society in 2004, revealed that Bumbolloway and Bombarlow were the same large property known as Bumballa.

Ellen Neenan (the widow of William Munday snr) was recorded as  39 years of age when she had a 2nd marriage to a Thomas Lyon at the C of E Queanbeyan 30th January 1868. Those marriage records show Ellen’s surname recorded as Mundy and her parent’s names were recorded as Denis Neenan (a sergeant) and Margaret Scully.

Offline knows a lot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 11 July 16 12:07 BST (UK) »
MARY MUNDAY
(1853 – 1886)
Also known as MARY DAVIS

JAMES DAVIS
(c1841 – 1912)

Mary Munday was born at (assumedly) Bombala on 2nd August 1853 and baptised at Berrima 24 August 1853. Her place of birth was most likely a large property called Bumballa, located in the parish of Bumballa (south of Berrima) and it joined onto the parish of Marulan. Parent’s names were Ellen Neenan and William Munday (a labourer), both of Bombarlow (originally a portion of the property called Bumballa).

Mary Munday married James Davis on 31st July 1871 at Queanbeyan. Her surname was actually recorded as Mundy. At the time of her marriage, she was under 21 years of age and her usual place of residence was recorded as Bungendore. James Davis lived at Captain’s Flat and Primrose Valley near Carwoola. James had obtained a land grant from the government in 1876 and took up a selection of land at Molonglo, County of Murray, parish of Yarrow, section 13. This land was possibly located in Primrose Valley, adjoining the large property called Carwoola. (In 1861, Molonglo was purchased by the owner of Carwoola).

NSW state records show a James Davis as being a free immigrant, age 22, via ship “Hotspur” arriving Australia 1863.  That would mean his birth year being 1841 or 1842.  It is believed that this person is the James Davis mentioned above. A family member stated that he was actually born in Wales.

The 7 known children from the marriage were probably born at Molonglo/Carwoola.

William J DAVIS              born  in 1871.  Registered at Queanbeyan.
Caroline DAVIS                born  in 1873.  Registered at Queanbeyan.
Henry DAVIS                    born  in 1875.  Registered at Queanbeyan.
Edward DAVIS                 born  in 1878.  Registered at Queanbeyan.
Theresa Jane DAVIS        born at Molonglo  31 August  1880. – MAIN LINK IN TREE
Thomas DAVIS                 born  in 1881.  Registered at Queanbeyan.
George DAVIS                  born in 1883.  Registered at Queanbeyan.

Mary Davis died at Primrose Valley, Molonglo on 1 November 1886 aged 34 years.  According to death certificate, her birth place was Bombala, her children listed as 5 males, 1 female living and 1 female deceased. Father shown as William Munday and her mother as Alice Leenon.  Mary died from inflammation of the lungs and was buried at Molonglo  2nd November 1886.

James Davis died 4th December 1912 at Captain’s Flat. Cause of death was senile heart. He was buried in the Carwoola Cemetery at Molonglo on 5 December 1912. The death certificate states he was 71 years of age, born in England and married at Moss Vale at the age of 29. (According to actual marriage records, he was married at Queanbeyan Presbyterian Church in 1871).  No parent’s names nor place of birth recorded on that marriage certificate.  The informant for the death certificate was his son, Henry Davis.