Author Topic: Bruen Family  (Read 5469 times)

Offline Tom Langley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Bruen Family
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 June 15 13:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the info. So you think the James mentioned is my James?
I havent contacted the RO yet, i was hoping to find out more myself first

Tom
Langley, Broughton, Taylor, Broad, Cooper, Owen, Bennion, Yorke, Knox, Norcup, Holland, Brookes, White, Davies, Huntbach, Bowler, Barnett.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
There is a burial for a James Bruen in Tarvin on 24 February 1680. I wondered whether that James was the James born 1662. Do you have any information on him?

I noticed there were a number of Bruen baptisms, marriage etc, in Chester itself. This information was obtained from the Cheshire Parish Register Database: http://cgi.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

These appeared to be people of some status, so I should think they are also members of the same Bruen family.

In view of the period of time involved, I think you may find some information, or the answers to your queries, in the RO. The archivists there may well know of sources to find these details. The online resources for the 17th century are not very good at present.

I am sure the Cheshire Local History series of books will also provide more information. These are excellent and available in Chester Library and the RO.

It is annoying as I have been in St Andrew's, Tarvin, and must have visited the Bruen Chapel but cannot recall any details now.

Good luck.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
I omitted to advise you of The Family History Society of Cheshire:

https://www.fhsc.org.uk/

They may well have some information on the Bruen family.

You should bear in mind that the period in time you are looking at, 1640s etc, would have been when the Civil War was in progress. Chester and surrounding areas experienced many bloody battles then. The Battle of Rowton Moor was very close to Stapleford and Tarvin. The parish records were moved for safe keeping, sometimes lost, or not maintained. This could hamper your research perhaps.

Jo.