Author Topic: Matthew burton prision records  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Stainforth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew burton prision records
« on: Thursday 09 October 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
I found this snippet in a search on the internet about someone called matthew burton who i now know i am descended from. I was going to attach the screen shot id taken but for some reason it wont let me!! It said ....time ago, the prisioner - one matthew burton of hucknall torkard - brought an action... Servitude by the consideration burton had sustained some injuries in the accident...
Matthew was born c1813 in hucknall torkard. Can anyone find or suggest where i might look for prison records from this time and area? Any help much appreciated
Stainforth - Sheffield, Hucknall Torkard, Chesterfield
Wilkinson - Sheffield, Wolverhampton
Northall - Sheffield, Tipton
Harding - Rotherham, Atherstone, Lidgley, Mancetter
Hutchinson - Rotherham, Greasborough
Atherley - Atherstone
Rogers - Tipton
Allen - Hucknall Torkard
Burton - Hucknall Torkard
Lee - Sheffield
Stacey - Sheffield
Hibberd - Sheffield

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew burton prision records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 October 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Stainforth,

There was abt 2 or 3 Matthew Burton's living in Hucknall at that time and it is hard to know which one it is. I have 2 of those Matthew's on my husband tree, one born 1794 hucknall and died 1858 and then his son Matthew born 1824 in Bulwell. 

There was also a Matthew Burton born 1813 in Hucknall.  I have seen the item you mention and others too but have not yet look at the court records as yet but I'm going into Nottingham archives one day next week so will see if there is anything there.

Nottingham archives is closing at the end of next week for abt 6 months so it last change to look them up.

NG!
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Stainforth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 October 14 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi NG, thank you for replying. Its a shame theyr closing, Il hopefully gey down next spring. Would you mind sharing your findings on here if they have any rellivence to my Matthew please?
Atherley - Atherstone
Rogers - Tipton
Allen - Hucknall Torkard
Lee - Sheffield
Stacey - Sheffield
Hibberd - Sheffield

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Stainforth,

Right after reading all the newspaper reports on Matthew Burton's court case in 1870 where he was accused of perjury claiming to have more injury's from the Train accident than he did have I now know that this Matthew was the one born in 1824 and not the 1813 one as you thought.  He was given 15 months in prison, and is in prison in 1871 census.  There are no prison records that I can find in Nottingham archives covering 1870/71.  I did find on ancestry a court record with crime and sentence.  If you want copies of the newspaper reports and the court record I can email them to you if you pm me your email address.

I can also tell you that your Matthew 1813 and Matthew 1824 (my husband's 3rd great grandfather) was cousins.

I also have the two marriage's of your Matthew to Mary Stanforth 1840 and Elizabeth Stanforth (nee Mellows) 1850 and the burial reocrd of Matthew in 1877 if you don't already have them.

I'm in the progress of gathering all in on the Burton's of Hucknall so if there is anything you need, as I don't know what you already have, please let me know.

Wendy
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;

Offline Stainforth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 October 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wendy for letting me know. I am descended from Matthew Burtons 1st wife Mary Stainforths illigitimate child George. I believe Mary and Matthew were first cousins as Marys mother was Ann Burton, John Burtons younger sister. I have Jane 'jenny' Burtons death cert and will, parish registers of Mary Stainforth and George Stainforth (Elizabeth Mellows 1st husband) deaths and also George and Elizabeths marriage. I have also seen the article and drawing of Jane Burton. I have a few details of further back such as Janes parents and siblings. I will send you my email address, thank you so much. I would love to see tge marriage certs you have :) Do you plan on doing a dedicated website or anything?
Atherley - Atherstone
Rogers - Tipton
Allen - Hucknall Torkard
Lee - Sheffield
Stacey - Sheffield
Hibberd - Sheffield

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 October 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Have sent you an email.

Wendy

Offline Stainforth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 October 14 15:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much