Author Topic: Missing!!  (Read 4605 times)

Offline Chris Treg

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing!!
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 June 15 06:11 BST (UK) »
I realise that this thread is not new but I only noticed it yesterday. 
My name is Chris Tregidgo and I am the son of Donald Thomas 1893.  His father and mother were Henry William and Kate, nee Wright.  Sisters Marjorie (Madge) and Doris completed this part of the Tregidgo family.  Kate's parents were James Wright and Kate nee Lee.  Annie (Nan) sister and brother James made up their family.
The name Tregidgo is the correct one.  But, I believe that there was a bit of trouble and Tredegar was adopted.  Tredegar can be found in census returns.  Marjorie and Doris were married under that name, my father used it for business purposes. 
Grandfather Henry William disappeared about 1905.  In 1911 Grandmother Kate remarried.  She died 1916.  An interesting point has arisen.  It would seem that Henry did not die in Canada, as the tale was told.  There is evidence that he might have ended-up in New Zealand to die in 1936.
The family was not really close.  However I met aunts Madge and Doris from time to time when they visited.  Annie, Nan as I knew her, Married William Henry Appleby.  They had two sons Geoffrey (Geoff) and William (Billy) who remained bachelors.  We used to visit Nan and the boys at their home in Chingford.  I believe that my dad had a greater affinity to Nan than to her sister who was his mother.
For the time being, I will leave it at that. 

Offline Mike Thw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing!!
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that bit of interesting background, Chris.

I think most families have a similar story - found one yesterday with a family called Parr. (Bit of bigamy I think!!)

Mike
I have, from the censuses, Donald Thomas' birth-date as 1897 not 93 ????