Author Topic: Historical records for Trinidad needed, particularly Halliday family  (Read 1452 times)

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Historical records for Trinidad needed, particularly Halliday family
« on: Friday 17 October 14 11:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone here have Halliday connections in Trinidad? I have a John James Halliday in my tree. Born 18th June 1870 in Moffat, Dumfriesshire. I have found him in numerous travel records between 1911 and 1936 travelling back and forth between Trinidad and Scotland. His occupation is mostly given as a planter. Any info or where I might find records for Trinidad would be greatly appreciated.

John married Mary between September 1922 and August 1924 but I have not found where nor her surname.

The last record I have for John and Mary is them departing from Dover to Trinidad on 17th October 1936.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Historical records for Trinidad needed, particularly Halliday family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 October 14 13:50 BST (UK) »
Just a maybe- John James would have been in his 50's at the time of a marriage in 1922-24 this could be his second marriage, who were his parents are there any siblings?

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 October 14 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jolee

It is a possibility but up until 1922 he was listed as single. These were Scottish census details and the travel records of his up to this year.

John was the son of:

William Halliday of Moffat (1826 - 1907) and
Martha Borthwick (1840 - 1878)

His siblings were:

Robert Borthwick Halliday - b. Moffat 1867 - d. Kirkmahoe, Dumfries 1944
Ninian Halliday - b. Moffat 1868 - d. Glasgow 1879
Martha Jane Halliday - 1885 - 1969 Moffat

There is no record of John and Mary having children.
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither

Offline AHF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
I have a John James Halliday in my tree born 18.6.1870 Moffat, Dumfriesshire. I have him travelling from Glasgow to Trinidad on 14.12.1892 his occupation is Grocer. He travels back and forward a few times with the last one on 17.12.1936. He married a Mary Brown (can't find any record) who was born 17.1.1869 in Newton Wamphray,Dumfriesshire. She died 29.11.1942 55 Thom Street, Hopeman, Moray her usual residence was 2 Osborne Row, Moffat and she is buried in Moffat.
On the 1891 census for Moffat both John James and Mary's occupations were Grocers assistants - perhaps they worked together?

Ninian Halliday born 8.8.1869 Sprucebank, Moffat died 1.9.1879 362 St George's Road, Glasgow (his aunts house)

Robert Borthwick Halliday (my great grandfather) died 15.12.1944. He married Agnes Watson on 22.3.1901 at Tweedshaws, Tweedsmuir, Peebles. She was born 24.11.1878 at Mountainblow, Moffat. She died 1929 at Whitestanes.Kirkmahoe, Dumfries.
Martha Jane married Alexander McMillan 6.8.1917 50 Nicholson Street, Glasgow - her usual address was Norwood, Moffat.

Offline khalliday181

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 November 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi AHF

Thank you for replying. It is great to make contact with you. It sounds like we are distant relations. Our common ancestor is Ninian Halliday of Newfieldbank, Moffat (1779 - 1853).

I have been researching my tree and extended tree for many years now and have a lot of information. You have confirmed some information I already knew and provided some I didn't know.

From my research I found Robert Borthwick Halliday had 2 children; William J (Johnstone?) Halliday and James (Watson?) Halliday. Which line do you come from?

Ohh lots of questions. If you'd like to exchange information (and I hope you will) pm me your email address.

Karl  :D
Halliday
Matthews
Holmes
Kettle
Miles
Pither