Author Topic: Marriage Document Question, Please - Witnesses, 1869  (Read 11190 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Document Question, Please - Witnesses, 1869
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 October 14 22:14 BST (UK) »
Excellent suggestion, deebel.  I hadn't considered that.  We don't know anything about her family members, other than her parents names (and occupation) were shown on her marriage document.  Margaret and her husband lived with two Duffy women in New York in 1871; we believe they were relatives of Margaret but I cannot yet find a connection.

I will keep your suggestion in mind!  Thank you, deebel.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:46 BST (UK) »
In general, in Scotland in my experience a married woman would use her married name, but there’s nothing to stop her using a previous name, or indeed any other name.

It depends when. In 1869, and if the people involved were of Irish extraction, I would expect a married woman to use her husband's surname.

However in earlier years this is not so. Legally, a woman in Scotland does not lose her maiden surname when she marries. After marriage, legal documents will refer to her as 'Margaret x or y' where x is her maiden name and y is her husband's name. This is why you get mothers' surnames in most baptisms in the OPRs (if you get the mother's name at all).

It's not uncommon to see a wife listed by her own name in the early censuses (1841 and 1851) though it becomes less usual as time goes on.

In 18th century records it is very common indeed for women to be listed by their own names when, for instance, they are witnessing a baptism. Sometimes this is explicitly stated in the form 'Elizabeth x spouse to John y' but sometimes it isn't.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 October 14 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Forfarian, for your interest in the thread and for sharing your knowledge.

I am still trying to find Elizabeth Flood (in Scotland) but have not been able to find a good possibility, so I will continue to try to find something that might indicate that I have the "correct" Michael and Elizabeth/Elspet Clark(e).

I really appreciate everyone's comments and help.  Perhaps with time, I may find out more about the families; it is wonderful to read what other's know about Scotland and to read suggestions about whom Elizabeth may have been.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 October 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Lisa, from the marriage cert in Dundee in 1869, what was Margaret's age on that? What address was given for her at the time of her marriage?

From what you say, they left for the US pretty much after the wedding. You have then in NY by the 1870 census?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 October 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
Lisa, this a good summary from the other thread here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=434955.0

It answers my questions for now  ;)

Monica

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica.  Thank you for your interest as well.

I have one or two long threads about Margaret and her husband, Patrick Tierney.  Thanks to RootsChatters, I do have quite a bit of information about them (which is why I am finally writing a "biography" - written as if Mr. Tierney might have written it years ago).  I would like to put it in a story form, for any family that might eventually be interested in the couple.

Margaret's age on the certificate is 35 and she and Patrick Tierney were living at the same address: 22 Blackness St, Dundee.  I believe somewhere along the line there also was reference to 22 Blackness Road.  One of the other threads contained information about a Michael and Elizabeth Clark(e) who lived just down the road from Margaret and Tierney.  I can post the threads, if anyone would like to see them.

They were in New York by 1870 and I believe they sailed two months after their wedding.  The 1870 census stated she was age 35.  She apparently was about 4 years older than her husband.  There is always a possibility that she could have been more than 4 years older (you know how some couples made themselves closer in age to each other).   ;)  Sadly, Margaret passed away in 1878.  Thank you again for your interest.

PS  You posted before I finished typing.   ;)  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
Have been re-reading the other threads. I remember some of the details now from them. Gosh you have worked hard on all of this and great to see how others have contributed along the way  :)

Monica

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
I have been very fortunate to have received such wonderful help.  Rather than just have a binder full of documents and notes, I thought it would be interesting to write everything down, as if Mr. Tierney had written it, and I've included a variety of images to make it more interesting.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 October 14 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hope I am not repeating from the other couple of threads, have checked but couldn't see this info. Have you come across this possible 1851 census entry for Margaret Flood in Dundee:

Bean Carty 61 (female) Lodging Housekeeper b. Ireland
John Carty 22
James Carty 18
Patrick Fergurson 19
Jean Fergurson 18
Peter Maughan 45
Nancy Maughan 30
John Flood 18 lodger, millworker b. Ireland
Margret Flood 16 lodger, millworker b. Ireland
Jean Flood 11 lodger, millworker b. Ireland
Helen Duncan 21
Flora Mcintosh 45