Author Topic: Lucy Vincent Fressingfield, born 1795, 1803 or two of 'em?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Lucy Vincent Fressingfield, born 1795, 1803 or two of 'em?
« on: Sunday 26 October 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Lucy is or are the daughter(s) of Thomas Cracknell Vincent and Elizabeth Née Brundish.

The Ancestry baptism transcription has her baptised on 24Jan1803. This seems to be a family that baptises chidlren straight away. There are baptisms of younger siblings before 1803?

The 1841 census   has a Lucy living with sister Martha in New Street, Fressingfield (district 3 page 4) aged 35 (i.e. born 1796).

The 1851 census has her unamrried, living with sister Hannah in New Street, Fressingfield (10b page 32) aged 56 (i.e. born 1794).

I am very tempted to assume that this is the same Lucy. There is no overlapping record but I would prefer to eliminate the possibility of the earlier Lucy dying and another female baby being named the same.

Can anyone shed any further light on Lucy²??

Many thanks
Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Lucy Vincent Fressingfield, born 1795, 1803 or two of 'em?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 October 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
One interesting thing to note is that Lucy and Martha were christened on the same day. There might have been some reason why they had to delay Lucy's christening, or perhaps they didn't do it at the time and then remembered later that it had to be done. Of course this is thrown off a bit by there being two/three children christened between those dates... maybe these were sickly children for whatever reason so were more of a priority for immediate christening... but just throwing about theories.

Offline The Yokel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 October 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
For the 1841 census ages were recorded as follows:-
 Up to the age of 15 years, ages were required to be recorded exactly, from 15-19 as 15, 20-24 as 20, 25-29 as 25 and so on.
As your Lucy would have been between 35-40 her age would have been recorded as 35.

regards
yokel

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ayashi,

yours is reasonable but I suspect that a sickly child might be a compelling reason not to delay baptism? However, I am going to merge these two and annotate my speculation within the record.

Thank you and also Yokel for your contributions.

Malcolm
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:45 GMT (UK) »
yours is reasonable but I suspect that a sickly child might be a compelling reason not to delay baptism?
Yes, that's what I said. I meant the ones who were christened in between Lucy's birth and Lucy's christening. I am just throwing reasons out there. I might be entirely wrong about all of them.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Fressingfield parish register

Martha and Lucy twin daughters of Thomas and Elizabeth Vincent late Brundish baptised 24th Jan 1803

Some siblings:
Elizabeth 28th November 1784
Mary 19th Feb 1786
Thomas 15th July 1787
Mary 11 April 1790
William 28 October 1792
John 12th April 1795
James 28th Aug 1797
Sarah 2nd Feb 1800
George 1st March 1807

However; there are several Vincent families baptising children at this time e.g.

Hannah d/o Robert and Mary Vincent late Chambers - privately baptised 30th May 1804
Martha d/o John and Maria Vincent late Pritty - 14th August 1808

I looked backwards and forwards through the register and couldn't find another Lucy; however this is not conclusive as:

(a)  I also couldn't see a baptism for a David s/o Thomas and Elizabeth but there evidently was a David as he is later buried at Fressingfield.

(b)  I looked at the marriages to see if perhaps one of the Lucys had married prior to 1841, 1851 and her father was named, thereby eliminating her from the puzzle.  I did find a Lucy Vincent (minor) of New Street, Fressingfield marrying a Lewis Rowe (minor) of Fressingfield on 7th November 1837.  His father was named as Nathaniel Rowe, baker, unfortunately her father's box was left blank.  The witnesses were Thomas Vincent and Robert Vincent.

Not sure if this raises more questions than it answers but personally I would be cautious about assuming there is only one Lucy.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Taken from Fressingfield monumental inscriptions.

David son of Thomas and Elizabeth Vincent who died 24th June 1832 aged 21 years

Elizabeth wife of Thomas Vincent who died 7th March 1849 aged 82 years, also Thomas Vincent late of this parish, 34 years, who died 21st December 1839 aged 77 years

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Annes. That is really helpful. I conclude - on the balance of probabilities that there was only one Lucy and that she overstated her age to the '41 and '51 enumerators.

Thoms Cracknell Vincent married Elizabeth Brundish on 25Oct1784.

Lucy lived with sister Martha and her family in '41 and with Hannah and her family in '51.

John Vincent and Martha nee Pritty were my gr-gr-great grandparents. George - Sidney - William - Cyril - me!

Malcolm Vincent
gedmatch.com A006809

Offline Billieboo15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 10 January 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcom
I have just joint this site and was reading your comments about the vincent family from Fressingfield Hannah Vincent is my great great great Grandmother  it was interesting to read all the comments .
My name is Shirley Francis