Author Topic: Fenry place name  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fenry place name
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 00:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't have the whole packet of documents, but I did access the Connecticut death record for him.  His wife is the informant.  His father's name is given as Thomas Carroll, and his mother's name is given as Catherine Brahany.  His birthplace is given only as Ireland on that record.

Figuring that Patrick Carroll's father was Thomas Carroll, I looked at the Tithe Applotments.  Of course, Thomas Carroll might not have been a landholder in his own name at that time, but there were four possibilities for Thos. Carroll.  Their townlands and civil parishes are as follows:  Barcullin, Ardcarn; Aughagadgoure [later Aghagower?], Fuerty; Rathconor, Kilbride and another Rathconor, Kilbride.  Wondering if Fuerty = Fenry, I used the search of rootsireland to look into the Roman Catholic parish of Athleague.  There is one Patrick Carroll born 2 years plus or minus 1822, but even accounting for names in Latin, the parents don't match.  I also ran a search for all of Roscommon.  Some individuals appear, but the parents don't match.  I didn't find a match for other children of the couple either. 

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 01:05 GMT (UK) »
Well at least that spelling of the mother's name makes more sense, I though it very odd when I first found it.

Offline Gallagher-Doohan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I had never heard the mother's surname before this search.  Of course, immigrants settled where they had friends or relatives.  As a result, names that are common in some parts of the U.S. are not to be found in others.  In the Tithe Applotments for Fuerty civil parish, there are three variations: Brehan, Breheny and Breheney. 

At any rate, even though a solution might come through a less direct route, the focus of my search is on the place name rather than the history of this family.