Author Topic: Drumgauty House Bready County Tyrone  (Read 5184 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drumgauty House Bready County Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Just a short update to my previous post, I got a chance to check the local press in Derry, Derry Journal, Londonderry Standard and Londonderry Sentinel for an obituary or death notice for William.

The only reference to the death I could find was a  small paragraph in the Sentinel:

SUDDEN DEATH

The Death took place suddenly on Thursday morning of Mr William Meredith Miller, only son of the late Sir Henry Miller, a former Mayor of Londonderry, and for many years Town Clerk.

The death notice may have been in the Belfast Telegraph, Newsletter or perhaps the Strabane Chronicle, I do not have access to those archives.

Regards
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Today I had a look at the Belfast Newsletter records for the death notice of William Meredith Miller.  I looked for a number of days after the date of death without finding any relevant record.  I then had a look for the death of his wife and found the following insertion in the Newsletter for Thursday 22 March 1962:

Miller-March 20 1962 (suddenly), at Altnagelvin Hospital, Margaret, widow of William Meredith Miller, Drumgauty House, Bready, Co. Tyrone.  Funeral private to City Cemetery today (Thursday), 22nd inst., at 2-30 p.m.

Offline Ongoing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 March 15 08:07 GMT (UK) »
I cannot thank you enough for all your help in searching the newspapers for me.  This has helped me greatly.
I have found the son of William Meredith Miller and his wife Margaret who has moved to Cheshire when his mother died in 1962.  (This from his mother's will which I ordered from PRONI). 

Offline Ongoing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 March 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I did receive all that great information re the son William Peter going to boarding school.  Since returning from looking after our sick daughter I hae not been on the computer each day.  I have written to the occupiers of the home in Cheshire to see if they have any knowledge of William Peter Miller ever living there.  I will follow up on the school and see what I can find.

Is there anything I can help you with in NSW with your family or did they not come out to Australia at all?  I think it is one in 3 Australians have some sort of Irish ancestry.  My husbands came from Co Armagh and mine from Dublin via India.  Ongoing

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 March 15 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I am delighted that the various postings have moved you forward.  Although we did not find a burial place for William Meredith Miller, the information supplied would strongly suggest that he is also buried in the City Cemetery in Derry.  If this is still important to you, it might be worthwhile contacting Derry City Council to ask:

http://www.derrycity.gov.uk/Cemeteries/General-Info

Offline Ongoing

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 March 15 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I will do that.  Many thanks for all your help Ongoing