Author Topic: why name change ?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
why name change ?
« on: Wednesday 29 October 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
My paternal x 2 grandfather was a Charles Frost, his father was a Henry Frost and his mother a Mary Ault. Charles appears to have come down from Derbyshire and ended up in Leighton Buzzard. His wife Margaret Bull comes a small village called Culworth in Northampton, both Charles and his wife Margaret were born in 1800. They marry in Woburn church I think 1820 and they have two children, a daughter Mary 1822 and Charles 1824. Both children are baptised and living with their parents in a hamlet called Potsgrove.

By 1841 the family have now moved to Marylebone in London and Charles has changed his surname to Ault, which is his mothers surname. On later census his two eldest children call themselves Mary and Charles Frost Ault. Charles and Margaret have another 6 children including my Great grandfather  Henry Ault, he and his siblings are all baptised with the surname of Ault, hence my surname Ault  I am wondering if something happened while the family were living in Bedfordshire, Charles becomes a cab Driver.  Any ideas ?.

Sue Ault

???      :-\

???  :-\

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: why name change ?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 20:19 GMT (UK) »
This marriage is the only one on FS but seems far too early for an 1800 birth?  Are you sure you have the right parents?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KBD8-Y3F

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGF5-YY4

3 possibilities for name change - hypothetical

Henry was not his father.  He was the illegitimate son of one of the Ault girls but was raised by Henry & Mary
Henry was his father but a bad one and Charles wished to disassociate himself
Charles was in debt etc and changed his name to avoid detection by debt collectors etc
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline scault

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 21:01 GMT (UK) »
charles was the youngest of 4 children to Henry frost and mary Ault they had three daughters before they had charles.
yes it is the Brailsford marriage and birth. funnily henry Frost and mary ault are also mentioned in a church on the same date and year in norfolk. ?

also strangely when Charles dies his death cert says charles frost, his wife margret Dies using the surname of Frostault. All very strange. I cant get down to the Bedford records office, i would love to know where charles was living and working in Leighton buzzard. I did all my early research at local record offices and not the internet, miss going around the country.

sue

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 November 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »

also strangely when Charles dies his death cert says charles frost, his wife margret Dies using the surname of Frostault.

When Charles' death was registered it wasn't him providing the information about his name. Who was the informant? Likewise Margaret. Was it the same person or different people? When do they die?

How do you know Charles and Margaret were in Leighton Buzzard at some stage?
Presumably Charles' place of birth is shown as Derbyshire on 1851 and later census and Margaret's as Culworth.

You have them in Woburn in 1820, What are their occupations when they marry in Woburn?
Then in 1822 and 1824 they are in Potsgrove when they baptise Mary and Charles. Does the register show any occupation for father Charles at this time as this might help with ideas as to how/why he has moved to the various locations.

Then we have a gap between 1824 and 1841 when the family are in Marylebone.

Woburn and Potsgrove would be associated with the Russell's Bedford estate, which has connections to the Bloomsbury area of London - I'm wondering if that's a clue.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas