Author Topic: Illegitimate child has a different religion to the mother - can anyone help?  (Read 4741 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate child has a different religion to the mother - can anyone help?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 November 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Living nearby in 1901, there's a Lucenda Campbell aged 18, also CoI (a servant in a house):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Aughancloy_Urban_Aughancloy_Town_in_17_files/Moore_Street/1724246/
Might be worth checking if she's a daughter to Sarah/sister to Jane.

Some information on the Clogher workhouse (where the Jane Campbell you found was born), including where records are held, is here:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Clogher/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sharpshooter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Illegitimate child has a different religion to the mother - can anyone help?
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 November 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the responses so far guys, much appreciated.  The rootsireland thread you've put up there Hallmark doesn't appear to be coming up for me, but I'll read into more about the site if I can as up until now I was taking the records on that site as gospel!  So indeed if mistakes do occur regularly on those sites, I would need to know that.

Just going from that site for now though I can find 18 Sarah Campbell's born between 1860 and 1870 (she was 36 on the 1901 census so assuming she was born in 1864/65), the vast majority of them are catholic and there is indeed a Sarah Campbell born in Aghaloo (Roman Catholic) in 1868 (which I have attached).  Its states here she was born on Mill Street, the street they are living on in the census.

All of the other Sarah Campbell's are in Cookstown/Coalisland/Castlederg, so this might be her.  Although she's 3/4 years younger than stated on the census (she knows her own kids ages pretty well as their ages fit their birth certificates exactly, but not her own?) and most importantly according the RootsIreland website, she's catholic.  However Sarah Campbell is a pretty common name and she might not be the only Sarah Campbell to be born in Aghaloo within those years.

Nevertheless I'm getting conflicting information here and its what I hate.  I live in Omagh currently, do you I think I should visit the church to see if I can obtain any records and to check if Roots Ireland have made mistakes on this?

Regarding Lucenda Campbell I have found a birth certificate for her in 1880 in Ballymagran (parish next to Carnteel/Aghaloo) but her mother's called Eliza Thomson, so no direct relation.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 November 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
It is  Topic: RootsIreland mistranscriptions and errors  on the "Ireland-General" Board Page 4 at present
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sharpshooter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 November 14 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Yeah I read the thread Hallmark, certainly is quite revealing, I think I'll be heading off to PRONI to verify anything I find on there in future.

So what do you guys think of the Sarah Campbell baptism record I found there, do you think its likely to be her, born also on Mill Street only a few years after?  Of course it conflicts with her daughters religion which is frustrating so i'm going to have to go to PRONI to check but if it does confirm she's catholic, then that's going to leave me stumped on the issue.  I'll also check the Clogher workhouse records to see if any information is given about Jane Campbell.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 November 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Well first of all you'll either need to accept the marriage record you posted as either being correct or not...then that makes some of her kids illegitimate too BUT have you searched familysearch for her kids??

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e3s/ for example shows 2 recorded at Clogher but you have to leave the search loose..just Surname, Ireland and Year Range as they are not searchable by County. Then look through results!

If you are in Omagh, you can go to nearest Reg Office in Republic and get those Cert photocopies there and then €4 each... if you talk to staff just say you're not sure of which one you want but that "it is the child of..." you need! Often they will look and advise you which is the one, so you don't need to get them unless parents are correct!!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 November 14 14:28 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01e3t/  is just a "loose" search...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 November 14 14:43 GMT (UK) »
IF you take the likes https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FYWL-8PX as being a possible then as far as I know, it shows the date of Reg, not date of Marriage, but don't quote me!

Note:  I haven't gone through the FS search results!