Author Topic: Elizabeth Davis  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Gordon46

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Davis
« on: Monday 03 November 14 11:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out the birth place of my ggg-grandmother, Elizabeth Davis, born, according to census information in 1783 or 1784, in Upton Bishop (or Foy) Herefordshire.

She married James Parsons (born in Churcham Gloucs. 1783) around 1815, but again I do not know the place.

She appeared to want the family to be known as Steel(e) Parsons (unhyphenated) for some curious reason. (Perhaps Steel(e) was her mother's maiden name?)

She died, aged 94, in Coedkernew, Newport, Mons. in 1878.

If anyone can supply her exact place of birth, or marriage place, I would be extremely gratedul.

Thanks,

Trevor

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Davis
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 November 14 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I see in 1851 that James has a middle initial of S, could this be where the Steele comes in

Is this his death  :-\
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2NFD-S3Y

Where did you get the information that her surname was Davis
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gordon46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, this is a record of my ggg-grandfather's death. I found it puzzling that he was born James Parsons and was buried as James Steele Parsons. The children all seem to be given the middle name of Steel(e) (the e is sometimes missing).

My gg-grandmother was Jane Steele Parsons (b. 1822) and my gg-grandfather was John Steele Parsons (b.1824). Jane's son William married John's daughter Mary Ann.

There are several Ancestry members who think that Elizabeth's surname was Davis and give her father as John Davis and her mother as Elizabeth. Before I came across that, I thought that her surname might have been Steel(e). She was certainly born in Foy/Upton Bishop.

There used to be an entry on the old IGI website suggesting that James and Eliza. married in Bristol 'about 1815 at St. Philip and St. Jacob'. That seems to have disappeared on the latest IGI website. I contacted Pip and Jay (as the church is known locally). They have extensive church records and could not find any record of the marriage. I have found early records tend to use  Eliza, rather than Elizabeth, which is an added source of confusion.

All in all an enigmatic ancestor!

Kind regards,

Trevor

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 November 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
There are several Ancestry members who think that Elizabeth's surname was Davis and give her father as John Davis and her mother as Elizabeth.

That is the problem with ancestry trees, one person submits the information and others copy it without checking the source.  Then it looks as though it must be right as everyone has got the same information.   ::)

I know what you mean about the IGI, it used to be really helpful but since the site upgraded all sorts have been removed from it never to be seen again.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gordon46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 09:40 GMT (UK) »
You are quite right about the Ancestry 'snowball effect'. of course.

I see, tantalisingly, that there was an Elizabeth Steele baptised in Canon Pyon (not too far away) in 1784. There is no reason why baptism and birth occur in the same place. Perhaps her grandparents lived there?

There are also references to the surname Steel(e) in Ross, but none quite at the right time.

Trevor