Author Topic: 1812- Why were they in Renfrewshire & not Aberdeenshire?  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1812- Why were they in Renfrewshire & not Aberdeenshire?
« on: Wednesday 05 November 14 12:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a birth in Abbey, 1812 which I would expect to find in Aberdeenshire, maybe Monquhitter or Fyvie. My question is why would the family be in Renfrewshire at that time? The father was described as a Tailor on his daughter's Death Cert in 1856, (informant was my gt. gt. grandmother).
The OPR page from Scotlandspeople has 36 entries crammed in, all baptised on 4, 12, or 19 July. The 19th was particularly busy with 16! Is this unusual?
What was the work that could have supported these families? (Most of my lot are farmers from Aberdeenshire, so only just getting into Renfrew!)
If this birth is my great great grandmother, you should be able to hear the wall falling down!
Cheers, Anne  ;D
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1812- Why were they in Renfrewshire & not Aberdeenshire?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 12:15 GMT (UK) »
GenUKI says:

"ABBEY, parish, containing parts of Paisley and Barrhead, all Johnstone, and several villages in Renfrewshire."

Maybe it's me, being a sassenach, but why would you expect to find it in Aberdeenshire? ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
hi kgarrad, I just thought there may have been particular work there. also the two daughters lived mostly in Aberdeenshire.
Aberdeenshire & The Borders, Morison/Morrison, Mitchell, Robertson, Ritchie, Youngson,Tait, Law, Pringle, Trotter

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »

What was the work that could have supported these families? (Most of my lot are farmers from Aberdeenshire, so only just getting into Renfrew!)

If it was work related the main industries in Paisley and the surrounding areas were thread or textile related (although 1812 is a little early for the industrialised mills). There was also a lot of farm work in the area which remained largely rural for some time.

A lot depends on where the family actually started from was it in the North-East or the Central Belt.

The OPR page from Scotlandspeople has 36 entries crammed in, all baptised on 4, 12, or 19 July. The 19th was particularly busy with 16! Is this unusual?

The first fortnight in July used to be the Paisley Fair, possibly the workers had a day off for the holidays and were jamming them in while they could.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 14:01 GMT (UK) »
So, the migration was FROM Renfrewshire TO Aberdeenshire?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 November 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
If you post the names and what you know about their whereabouts before and after 1812, it might help.

Do you have the parents in the 1841 or 1851 census? That would tell you, from the parish of origin, whether they had moved north.

A possibility, at that time, if a man is out of the expected area, is that he was in the militia. How is he described in the entry for the Paisley baptism.

Offline Anneatki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 November 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou RJ Paton, for that bit of background info! Maybe working in the textile area led to him being described as a "Tailor" on his daughter's death in 1856. Also interesting to learn about the Fair!
There are only names & birth/baptism dates on the OPR, nothing about where each family was from, or occupation.
KGarrad, I'm assuming they came from Aberdeenshire, but it has been a confusing journey, so maybe I'll find different!
GR2, will try & give relevant details - I have posted before, but don't know how to do the link!
Margaret Youngson is the birth I'm trying to find. Have all her details from marriage to Peter Morison, 1834, to death in Peterhead 1897. Her birthplace changes - '41 Aberdeenshire; '51,71,81,91 Perth; '61Monqhitter; '94 Cruden (admittance to Peterhead Poorhouse). Her dob varies between 1812-19.
She lived in Fyvie, Forgue, New & Old Deer, & Peterhead.
Finding her sister Catherine b.1793 Monqhitter, d. 1856 Fyvie was a breakthrough - Margaret was the Informant. From this I got father James Youngson (tailor), mother Catharine Forbes.
Have found possible births for James - 1771 Old Deer, & Catharine 1772 Fyvie, but no marriage, yet.
The possible birth for Margaret Youngson 19 Jul 1812 in Abbey, lists the parents as James Yung or Young & Katharin Forbes, so I'm thinking a very busy Vicar got the name slightly wrong. Have searched for other Yung/Young & Forbes births or marriages in Renfrew, but not finding any, so far.
Phew!  :-\ hope that all makes sense!
Haven't found James & Catharine in '41 or '51 - they're both listed as Deceased in 1856.
Many thanks for your help & interest! cheers, Anne

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 November 14 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Without looking further into it, I think the Paisley baptism is probably a red herring. The surname is wrong. You would have to have very strong evidence to assume it was a mistake in spelling (e.g. several other children born in the area/period). If you look up baptisms/marriages of Catherine Forbes you will probably find several women of that name.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 February 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Without looking further into it, I think the Paisley baptism is probably a red herring. The surname is wrong. You would have to have very strong evidence to assume it was a mistake in spelling (e.g. several other children born in the area/period). If you look up baptisms/marriages of Catherine Forbes you will probably find several women of that name.

Is the birthplace data replicated in subsequent census information for the individual?
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.