Author Topic: DRUMMOND also DRUMM family  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Adele Fitzgerald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DRUMMOND also DRUMM family
« on: Friday 07 November 14 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Ive been researching Owen Drumm born abt 1812 in Ireland. An oral history said he was from Innisfree and came to the US as a young man. He was a dairy farmer here and founder/caretaker for a Catholic church. Owned quite a bit of land in Bay Shore NY. Im wondering what records might be in Ireland if any. Thanks in advance.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DRUMMOND also DRUMM family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of births started in 1864 (far too late for Owen) and the 1st complete census is 1901 (much too late also) but it's likely that you will find far more detail in U.S. records even if you aren't ever able to find anything in Irish records (early 1800s is quite early for church records).

Have you found Owen in all possible U.S. census records? found a newspaper obituary (which might mention where he came from and when he arrived in America)? checked for a gravestone/cemetery records? church records? marriage & death certificates? Don't forget his children (their vital records or obituaries might mention where their father was born). Naturalization papers? etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Adele Fitzgerald

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 November 14 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Yes, I found Owen (DRUMMOND, DRUMM, DRUM) in 1850 US census and beyond. I did find much within the US censuses, but the birthplace always says Ireland. His death certificate (1905) states that his father's name was Thomas. His granddaughter did an oral history in 1985 and said that he came from Northern Ireland, and what sounded like Innisfree. I always thought that was a fictional place, but then I found it mentioned as a place in county Sligo. Please correct me if that is wrong. This oral history also said that he was married to Mary (KEARNEY) in the old St. Patrick's cathedral on Mulberry street in NYC but they could not find any records there. He had 5 daughters. I obtained a baptism transcript for just one of his children. As far as I can tell two married and I believe to the same man. One sister had two children and died, and I believe that another sister married the widower and raised the children. Another daughter became a nun  - that is an avenue I still need to pursue. I found Owens grave, but the cemetery had very little documentation. The grave was a real find, because his wife and several of his children were there in a plot for 12! Someone was recently buried, and the tombstone was almost brand new. I spoke with a great-great grandaughter over the phone, but I think I had more knowledge of Owen than she did. I could never find any naturalization records.

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I think I may focus on the daughter who became a nun next. I am hoping they have some details. Cheers.

Civil registration of births started in 1864 (far too late for Owen) and the 1st complete census is 1901 (much too late also) but it's likely that you will find far more detail in U.S. records even if you aren't ever able to find anything in Irish records (early 1800s is quite early for church records).

Have you found Owen in all possible U.S. census records? found a newspaper obituary (which might mention where he came from and when he arrived in America)? checked for a gravestone/cemetery records? church records? marriage & death certificates? Don't forget his children (their vital records or obituaries might mention where their father was born). Naturalization papers? etc.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 November 14 20:16 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of similar sounding townland names in Ireland so it can be confusing to find the correct place with so little detail. Sligo is not part of Northern Ireland but as well as the Inishfree in Co. Sligo there's Inishfree Upper and Inishfree Lower in Co. Donegal (which is part of Ulster although not part of the present day Northern Ireland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!