Author Topic: Storrs family  (Read 4269 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Storrs family
« on: Friday 07 November 14 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi im looking into my fathers side of the family,but i cant find alot of information,
I have his parents as Ivy Grace Moody b 27th June 1915,(dont know where this was,its on death certificate, She married Dennis Storrs June 1936 in Glanford Brigg (scunthorpe) Ivy apparently died dec 1974 Glanford brigg.(although i dont remember her at all).
Dennis Storrs b1913-d 1965 scunthorpe(although i havent found this death ive been told by family member)
The above is the only info that i haved any further information would be greatly appreciated on either of them or there respective families,i unfortunatly have had no contact with my father or his family since 1977 so im unable to ask.
many thanks
Debbie xx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Storrs family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 14 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Could this be Dennis's death  :-\

Dennis Storrs
Death Registration June qtr 1967
Age 53
Reg district Grimsby
3b / 209

I presume that this is his birth
Dennis Storrs
Mother's Maiden Name Storrs
Dec qtr 1913
Reg district Glanford Brigg
7a /1265
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi rosie,
many thanks yes you have the same info that i have,unfortunatly my cousin is adamant that dennis died in scunthorpe around the time i was born in 1965,but like you i to have the Grimsby death,but as yet i have not connected him to anyone or anywhere in Grimsby,unless maybe he was in the local hospital there as its only a short distance from us in scunthorpe, even though we have a hospital locally.
also i have the birth with his mother been a Storrs also,so maybe there was no father hence she has given him her name, possibly also she was a Storrs who married a Storrs,as i have my maternal grandparents been Barnes marrying a Barnes.
many thanks and if you can think of any thing else to help me it would be appreciated
Debbie xx

Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 14 18:05 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though you may need certificates to establish the truth.  You really need the marriage in case it gives fathers details for Ivy.

I suspect her date of birth may be wrong on the death certificate, the person reporting the death would not have had to provide a birth cert to back up the information

He may just have been visiting in the Grimsby reg district when he died.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie,
many thanks il contact scunny registry office next time i go home,about getting hold of ivy and dennis marriage cert to see if it has their parents names on it,ive searched ancestry,bmd,lds sites and  i have even googled them burt nothing,cant find anything,other than what we have found already,
Its very frustrating but i will persist,can you think of why Dennis's birth has his mums maiden name as Storrs also, i thought births always had maiden names on of mothers.
many thanks once again
debbie xx

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 14 19:34 GMT (UK) »
The fact that Dennis' surname was Storrs, as was his mothers, would strongly suggest he was illegitimate.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 November 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,
Many thanks yes you maybe right, but it could be that his mother was a Storrs who married a Storrs like my Maternal grandparents my gran was a Barnes and she married my grandad a Barnes also.
Plus my mum wasent married to my dad who is the son of Dennis above and my mum named us after him and she is down as Barnes(her maiden Name)on my birth cert.

Its been suggested that I get Dennis and Ivy's marriage cert to see if that has any parentage info on it, which I think is my only course of action as ive checked so many different sites and cant find anything on them other than what I have, i cant even find Ivy's birth, as theres no census info as there born after 1911, and I don't know anything about ivy other than she married Dennis.
any ideas would be greatly appreciated if you come up with anything to help me with her birth
many thanks
Debbie xxx

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 November 14 00:47 GMT (UK) »
I agree that sometimes two people with the same surname marry - however, in this instance, checking FreeBMD shows no marriage for a Storrs to a Storrs!

Until you get the marriage certificate of Dennis and Ivy there is nothing we can do at this stage.   When you have it report back on here and tell us all the details and we can see what we can do.

I agree that there is no birth registration in the name Ivy G. Moody for 1915 in England/Wales.   I have checked records for Scotland, Ireland and Overseas births but cannot find anything.

No speedy answer here - so one step at a time.   Let's see what the marriage certificate reveals.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 November 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,
many thanks for your reply.
Yes iv come to the same conclusions as you ,i keep trying to email the scunthorpe registry office but they keep been returned as failed.
I may have to call in the next time im there as its where my family still live,
and as for ivy moody yes i cant find a birth anywhere,either. not sure what to do about her,ive found her death on ancestry site and it gives her date of birth as 27th june 1915 but not where.
Also iv hit a snag on dennis storrs birth also it says his mother was also called storrs,im begining to think that maybe there wasent a father for dennis registered.
Many thanks
Debbie xx