Author Topic: Douglas(s) in Moville  (Read 4910 times)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Douglas(s) in Moville
« on: Sunday 09 November 14 00:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching the following family:

James Douglas (or Douglass), b. ca. 1808, d. 30 Mar 1868 in Carrowhugh
married Annie Maginness (or McGinnis)

I've found 4 daughters thus far:
  • Jane, bapt. 1834 probably in Moville, d. 8 May 1884 in Balleghan, m. Caldwell Campbell on 26 Nov 1859 in Moville--my ancestors
  • Mary, b. ca. 1851, d. 5 Dec 1920 in Boston, USA
  • Rebecca, b. ca. 1853, d. 20 Feb 1936 (probaby in Ballyrattan/Castlecary), m. William Baird (or Beard) on 23 Aug 1876 near Boston, USA
  • Agnes, b. ca. 1857, d. 12 Mar 1915 in Boston, USA, m. Archibald McCorkell (or McCorkle) on 27 Nov 1879 in Moville
There was also a John Douglas, of Carrowhugh, listed as an informant on James' death record--I'm guessing maybe a son?

The family belonged to the Church of Ireland.  I've seen birthplaces given as both Ireland & Scotland on records.  Does anyone have anything more about the family?
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Douglas(s) in Moville
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Amy,

I have additional information on this  Douglas family and other Douglas families in the area that may be connected, I'll send you a pm

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Adding the James & John Douglas that appear in the 1901 & 1911 census in Carrowhugh as children.

• John Douglas, b. ca. 1841, d. ca. 1921; m. Ann Carland, b. ca 1846, d. 1908.
  • James Douglas, b. ca. 1852, d. 1918, unmarried.

There was also a Samuel Douglass appearing on Griffith's in Carrowhugh whom I assume is related somehow.

KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
From PRONI Will Extracts- "Letters of Administration of James Douglas late of Carrowhugh, Greencastle, Co. Donegal, farmer, who died 25 May 1918 granted at Londonderry to John Douglas, Carrowhigh, Greencastle, farmer. Effects: £71 18s 0d"
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 November 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 November 14 15:14 GMT (UK) »
 A bit more on Samuel Douglas, as well as appearing in the Griffith Valuation of 1858, at that time farming 25 acres, Samuel also appears in a rental records from, 1850 and 1851. Plot 2 Carrowhugh farming 14 acres, £12 12s per year, tenant year to year.

There dosen't appear to be any Douglas families farming in Carrowhugh or any other townland in lower Moville at the time of the Tithe records recorded of 1828, the family at this time seems to have been living in the parish of Moville Upper.

Don't see any burial records for Samuel or any children's marriage records. I suspect he was probably an elder brother of James Douglas and a bachelor, his tenancy was probably taken over by James after his death, and passed from him to his sons, John and James
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 14 00:25 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking Samuel was either a brother or father of James.  Really can't tell though, he could be related other ways--but being in Carrowhugh, you'd think he must be related somehow.

Also of note, the name Hugh McGinnis does appear in "Carahue" for the 1827 tithe.  There is a Denis, John & Hugh McGuinness in Carrowhugh for Griffith's.

Unfortunate there is no probate for the elder James.  I've had little luck with the calendar of wills in general, as the record for the younger James would only be the third definitive relative.

I usually look into the townlands my ancestors are from.  I don't remember that definition or description of Carrowhugh, so I must've failed to look it up.

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 14 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Carrowhugh and Carrahue are the same townland, Carrohue is another variation, all 3 spellings are referred to in the 1850/51 rentals.

If James was born about 1808 it is possible but unlikely that his father would still be alive in 1858, he would have been at least in his late 70's. Unlikely in the time period in Ireland

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors who've died in their 90s & later back in the 1600 & 1700s.  Not common, but does occasionally happen, so I'd never rule it out.  I  know "Carahue" is Carrowhugh.  I've had trouble deciphering some Irish localities with their spelling, but that one was easy.