Author Topic: Printable Northumberland map  (Read 6533 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Printable Northumberland map
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it was Genuki where I found Shotton Hill.

I couldn't function without that site.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 01:06 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't know where to start to produce that map  ;D

But you're right - it gives a better perspective of how these people moved around.  I would suggest plotting the places on an old map once you have them on a modern one.  I don't think the A697 was there in 1796!  Modern roads can distort our concept of distance.

I started by searching in Google Maps for Coldstream, it then centres the map there and sticks a pin on it. In the  box at the top left , click on get directions, use the arrows to make Coldstream the starting place and then enter each of the other places in the box with the + sign, in turn. It draws the route for you.
Then I just screen grabbed it :-)

and yes, showing them on an old map gives a much better idea, but that takes a wee while longer.

I do have a (very, very old) graphics package where I can use layers, so I can put the modern map on a bottom layer and then an old map on the top. Turn down the transparency on the old map so the modern one shows through, mark the places and then turn up the transparency, delete the modern map layer and Bob's yer uncle.
(well, providing you can get the certificates, parish register entries and 'back up proof' that he is :-)!)

Boo

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 05:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for trying to help. Yes, my people were shepherds who moved around in Northumberland near the border, and over it. Interesting for me to discover as I realise I know very little if anything about that area.

The reason for wanting to see the towns/villages on a map was to check the possibility of a baptism to see if it would be a likely fit.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
I remember being very surprised coming out of Kirkharle to see a sign pointing down a little country road saying 'Hexham 13 miles'.  On the roads I normally travel it would have taken at least 30.

You must go by a very circuitous route  ;D
It's only 17 miles via a 'B' road and then two 'A' roads.
(Sorry , totally off topic  :-[ )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes it's an interesting map, much of it familiar. I didn't realise Wooler was so far north, and Kielder so far south.
An Aunt lived at Kielder, before it was flooded, her husband was the local postman. Before that at Wark.
My cousin farms at Otterburn , just below the fork of the A168 and A696 . He's a shepherd, among other things  ;). Spent many a holiday there in my youth.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 18:24 GMT (UK) »

[/quote]

You must go by a very circuitous route  ;D
It's only 17 miles via a 'B' road and then two 'A' roads.
(Sorry , totally off topic  :-[ )
[/quote]

That's my point - to me Hexham is west and Kirkharle is north and I would never have thought of triangulating until I saw that sign.  I only think in A roads and would have gone down the A696, along the A1 and turned right onto the A69 - how many miles?  :o

As for the area Pergamond - even today it is wild and empty - lots of sheep, not many people.

Christine

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Well that really surprises me Christine! I must say I'm pleased. If I ever visit the area it will be easier to imagine my ancestors and their way of life.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 March 15 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Pergamond, if you want a better indication of how it was in the time your ancestors were looking for churches to baptize their children try looking at old Ordnance Survey maps on maps.nls.uk
Although this is the website of the National Library of Scotland they also have English maps. You should also be aware that in that area close to the borders there were a lot of non-conformist churches and chapels.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline pergamond

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 02 March 15 02:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Craclyn, I'll have a look.