Author Topic: Lovise FREDERIKSEN b.1842 + Louisa JENSEN d.1906  (Read 6593 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lovise FREDERIKSEN b.1842 + Louisa JENSEN d.1906
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 November 14 00:35 GMT (UK) »
My working theory is that Larsine Mathilde became Mabel and had a child called May b.1889 with some guy called Laurence. Then two years later Larsine/Mabel marries William WEBSTER. She leaves her daughter May in the care of her mother (May's grandmother) Louisa. The child May grows up and in 1906, using the name Mabel FREDERICKSON, marries Joseph Alexander GOUGH

Yes I had thought either mother Louisa had a child called Mabel after arriving in NZ or that one of the daughters who had come to NZ had a name change and was the mother of May. Was tending towards it being Christine after finding the Nikolaison marriage. But not so. 

I am a great believer in trying to work in these family stories, eg about the young May and her mother  coming by themselves from Denmark..... but it is difficult in this case. 

Danish ancestors myself. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 24 November 14 02:30 GMT (UK) »
1875/922   Jensen   Anna Louisa   Louisa   Peter
Here is another possible  NZ birth.

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 24 November 14 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: shanreagh
Here is another possible  NZ birth.

1875/922   Jensen   Anna Louisa   Louisa   Peter

Hi again...

I have a feeling that Anna Louisa JENSEN is the Louisa Nina BENDER mentioned in the following death notice...

Evening Post, 6 October 1894, Page 2
http://tinyurl.com/lpbleaw

Might be wrong but the Marriages CD has an 1892 BENDER/JANSEN marriage that fits. Would need to view the 1894 death certificate.... (or come to think of it the ITM as the bride is only seventeen-ish)

Am curious as to what or who "P.O.B and Louisa Jensen" means.

Anf if P.O.B means Peter JENSEN then the "eldest daughter" bit is technically correct as the other daughters (Larsine and Christine) were step-daughters.

---

This may be Louisa Nina BENDER's daughter...

Evening Post, 2 September 1895, Page 2
http://tinyurl.com/oqo8f5x

Buried at Karori, not Kario.

Louisa Nina BENDER had a sister Violet.

---

Am hoping that the following might be Louisa JENSEN's Danish-born daughter Christine JENSEN but am not holding my breath...

http://tinyurl.com/pe6rde3

Estimated year of birth is pretty good and the Marriages CD has a Christine JENSEN marrying a Samuel ANDERSEN in 1883.

Her naturalisation papers should clear things up.

Regards
Beg

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 24 November 14 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Snap. Had just found the Louisa Whilmena Nina Jensen /Bender death and have found this 1889 reference to an application for married women's property by Louisa, .

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=EP18891011.2.38&srpos=5&e=-------10--1----2louisa+jensen--

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 01:48 GMT (UK) »
There is this reference. Some of the material found so far puts the family Eketahuna way perhaps Mauriceville?

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=24267057

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again...

Not too sure if that's the correct Peter JENSEN as it says he's from Mauriceville and the date is October 1874. At that time the Peter JENSEN and family who arrived in Lyttelton on the Punjaub seem to have still been in the Christchurch area.

According to his Army Service record Peter and Louisa's son Peter junior is born in 1877 in Christchurch.

And it looks as if the parents are still there in 1887. The Births fiche has the birth of their daughter Violet as registered in Christchurch.

The naturalisation in which I'm interested is for Mrs Dorothy Christina ANDERSON. Spades has kindly offered to take a photo of the application on his next Archives visit.

http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=24212063

Not holding my breath that it's the correct Christine budjanevano :-)

Regards
Beg

Offline heni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
I have just read this thread. And I have to correct Beg Clonrode. Lovise Hindborg (Frederiksdatter) was not a prostitute. Absolutely not.  :'(  She was an unmarried mother before marriage to Peter Jensen. And "fruentimmer" in Danish was the way unmarried women with child or children was mentioned in the churchbooks at that time - in the countryland in Denmark. Very patronizing. Her mother was neither.
I'm a Danish descendent of the brother to her husband Peter Jensen, born in Jutland Denmark.
Please look at her tree in geni.com. Her NZ family and I are active there. There you'll find the answers you are looking for regarding Lovise.
- Thank you for the links to the public search web sites in NZ  ;)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:48 BST (UK) »
Are you in contact with the original poster...Island Breeze, I think? We are genealogists, we have no vested interest, other than being as correct as we can,  in the information we collect or research for other people and neither do we have any concern about what the records show us about paternity, maternity, matrimony or the lack.  Beg Clonrode showed us where the translation came from and it is therefore that source that may be incorrect. 

As it was factually annotated to the best of her ability it can not be called patronising. Even had she been a prostitute there surely would be no concern about this? Certainly not at this distance away or at this length of time.    Many families have a 'skeleton in the closet' and these often provide the human interest in our stories.

Beg has done quite bit of work on this.  Hopefully you have carefully read the rest as some of the info, from my recollection that was provided by a descendant, may have been incorrect/missing. 

PS We are not family researchers in the Frederiksen/Jensen family but were following up a thread in a message board on a NZ site called Trademe. 

Offline Beg Clonrode...

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Heni...

Welcome to Rootschat :)

Even though it was a few years ago I do remember being wary of using the word "prostitute".

I don't speak Danish so had asked for help in translating the church book entries. In this instance, the translation I was given for fruentimmer was unmarried floozy, which seemed a bit extreme.  And, although technically correct, unmarried mother didn't convey the "multiple partners multiple children floozy" impression given by the churchbooks.

So after further reading I settled on the middle ground word of prostitute. Possibly a reflection on me but I don't really think of the word as having a negative connotation. I fully appreciate that others think differently.

At this late stage I am unable to edit my orginal posts so I'll ask a moderator to change "prostitute" to "unmarried mother". It may take a few days for the amendments to appear.

Please accept my apology if I've offended any members of Lovise's family. It was unintentional and through ignorance, not malice.

Regards
Beg