Author Topic: Convents in Leicestershire - Mary Begg  (Read 8140 times)

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Convents in Leicestershire - Mary Begg
« on: Friday 21 November 14 15:50 GMT (UK) »

Does anyone know what order(s) of nuns might have been in these convents? Are they still in use?

1. Parson Wood Hill, Whitwick ... 1891, 1901

2 Convent Park Road, Loughboro ... 1911

Background ...
Mary Begg b. Skerries IRL ~1868

1871 - in Cardiff with her family

not with the family again in England/Wales (no censuses available for Ireland pre-1901)

I saw a mention of a nun attending a family funeral in the 1930s, and found a Mary Begg of the correct age in the convents above ... I'd like to find out a little more  ...

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convents in Leicestershire - Mary Begg
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 November 14 16:51 GMT (UK) »
In Whitwick it looks as though there was a small convent of Rosminian nuns.  Edit - The site says that the convent transferred to Loughborough in the twentieth century
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitwick

Kay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosminians

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 November 14 17:01 GMT (UK) »
House on Parson Wood Hill (this was formerly a Presbytery for the Catholic Church and later a convent) you can see a photo on here http://www.goleicestershire.com/see-and-do/Whitwick-Historical-Group-SpecialProject.aspx under "Listed Buildings in Whitwick"

and no it is not still a convent http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40193510.html

http://www.charnwood.gov.uk/listed_buildings/our_ladys_convent_and_school_adjoining_park_road_loughborough

and I suspect this is where they are now http://www.olcs.leics.sch.uk/
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 November 14 18:39 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that, Kay and Iluleah
So, Rosminians .. (thought they might be FCJ)

eadaoin
Brady - Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi there were two orders of nuns at the convent on parsonwood hill in whitwick, if you send me the details of what your looking for i'll take a look.
Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, AlilsoMar.
I'd be delighted if you could find out  a bit more about this nun.

Mary Begg b. Skerries IRL ~1868. I have the background for MY Mary Begg, but I can't be sure she's the nun on the censuses below. .

1891 - Parson Wood Hill, Whitwick ... Mary Begg age 22 b.Ireland - school teacher
1901 - Parson Wood Hill, Whitwick ... Mary Begg age 33 b. Dublin, Ireland - Music teacher

1911 - Convent Park Road, Loughboro ... Mary Begg age 43 b. Skerries Dublin - Music Mistress

I sent  off to the "Catholic Family History Society" - they have details of some nuns - birthdate, parents, death date, Religious name, etc. Unfortunately they had no Mary Begg on their list.

I need these details of the nun Mary Begg, to compare them with MY Mary, to see if they match.

Brady - Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline carolmc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 April 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I went to St.Clares Convent School, Forest Road Coalville, in 1955. Now demolished, new houses in Convent Close. Try Whitwick Heritage Society, they are very helpful, regards Carolmc

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 April 15 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Convent on Park Rd Loughborough is very much still there, it is also a School.  If you called the School. I'm sure they could pass a message onto the relevant person.
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline AliIsoMar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 April 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi eadaoin, sorry it has took so long but i have finally found my notes...                                                     Three Rosmininan sisters came to whitwick on the 21st may 1875 and taught in a convent school for girls and an infant school for poor boys and girls. The already existing 'POOR SCHOOL' Turry Log on the road to Grace Dieu had been built by Mr Ambrose Phillips De Lisle. The convent school was housed in two cottages next to the presbytery. Mrs De Lisle was in charge of the schools.                             The sisters remained there until 1880 when it was taken over by the Sisters Of Charity of St Paul. The Rosminian Sisters returned in 1888 and remained there until 1973 at there departure the convent and adjoining cemetery were sold.                                                                                                        However some sisters from Loughborough (where the Rosminians  have there convent} continued for many years to visit the sick and poor, taught in the school and in more recent times attended the Sacristy of Holy Cross Church.                                                                                                In 1902 the new school of Holy Cross and a new Presbytery were built. In 1906 a new church of Holy Cross was built and the first mass was celebrated there in 1906.                                             
Canal Families: James, Green, Wenlock. Fradley, Wood, Higgins, Eaden, Harrison, Jenkinson Hollinshead, Coulton, Caswell, Boswell and Bird.