Author Topic: How far would this be?  (Read 7167 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How far would this be?
« on: Saturday 29 November 14 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone give a guesstimate of the distance from Redcar beach front, up Redcar Lane, across to Fishponds Corner, then down Kirkleatham Lane to the beach front, and across to the starting point?  In the 1930s!

Ceeoh

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How far would this be?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 November 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Try searching for Kirkleatham Lane on www.streetmap.co.uk and working from there..... I've located Redcar Lane but Fishponds Corner?
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 November 14 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Presumably they had to go, The seafront, Park Avenue, Redcar Lane, Plantation Road, Kirkleatham Lane, Corporation Road, Thrush Road, Park Avenue returning to the seafront.

Distance, circa 9.72 km or just over 6 miles.

Regards

Malky.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 November 14 17:00 GMT (UK) »
This was a three year old in a pedal car!  They went from Southampton Street, into Redcar Lane.  Up Redcar Lane and across to Fishponds Corner (where the buses used to turn left to go to Yearby.  Down Kirkleatham Lane and on to the beach front, then across to the pier, (crossed over the Esplanade and High Street), up Redcar Lane (past St. Peter's, the school and the railway crossing) and back into Southampton Street.

Ceeoh

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 November 14 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Try searching for Kirkleatham Lane on www.streetmap.co.uk and working from there..... I've located Redcar Lane but Fishponds Corner?

Fishponds Corner - at the junction where the road to Guisborough (B1269) goes off from the Kirkleatham- Marske A174. It was always stagnant and smelly and I can't imagine there would have been fish in said pond for many a long year!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 December 14 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Ceeoh, you can do it on Google Maps. As far as I'm aware the main roads were all there so search for Southampton Street the click on Directions and put Fishponds Road in as the destination. That gives a result of 2.9 miles via Redcar Lane (which is the shortest route).

For the return journey, enter Fishponds Road in the search (address is Redcar) then directions to The Esplanade. This gives a route via West Dyke Road which is 4.3 miles. Then enter The Esplanade to start and Southampton Street in the destination, this is 0.7 miles via Redcar Lane.

The total is therefore 2.9 miles out and 5 miles return.  :)

Fishponds Road is rather pleasant now, they have recently built a crematorium there but it's very discreet.  ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 December 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Surely the problem now is that doing 6 or 7 or more miles in a pedal car for a 3 year old does not seem feasible?

So either the route was not as remembered, or the 3 year old received a lot of help.

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 December 14 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks all for response to my query.  I will have a look at the Google maps as suggested.  This was where my husband's two older siblings took him for a walk (at the age of three) - they were walking while he was furiously pedalling away in a pedal car - which in those days would be one of those heavy metal constructions.  He must have "walked" at least three times further than they did.

This is one of those anecdotes for the family history.  Very many thanks.

Ceeoh

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 December 14 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't seem feasible does it, however it was his mum told me.  I expect big brother and sister would have to push some of the time - and they were apparently "gone" for some considerable time.  Was their mum cross when they returned!!  (Relieved and cross.)

Ceeoh