Author Topic: Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957  (Read 9115 times)

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 06 December 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Too bad they don't have the membership registers of The Friendly Society Of Masons And Quarrymen on there, isn't it.  I spent some time looking, as I'm sure you have also, before deciding it was futile.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 06 December 14 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi manawakian

Yes, I always get very excited about a new online database and then, once the initial euphoria has worn off, I want MORE, NOW! :-)

The stonemasons union records are held by the Modern Studies Centre at Warwick Uni. I'll enquire if they have plans to share them via one of the genealogy sites, if not I'll try to go and see what I can find there in the New Year.

Boo

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 06 December 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
It occurred to me that the family might have had George William Athol ( a street name in Regina ) Henry baptised/christened after they returned to England.  The unindexed parish registers of many Gateshead churches are on microfilm at the Durham County Archives.  Unindexed microfilm, the dark ages of genealogical research. :-[

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 15:46 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little confused. I thought his wife's name was Elizabeth. How does Lily fit in? And do you have any information indicating George William Athol was called William?

Jacquie

another baby step achieved :-)

A Roots Chatter has kindly looked up the detail of Elizabeth's death announcement in the newspaper for me. Sadly no mention of an alternate name of 'Lily' but the announcement mentions a son called William :-)

another snippet that can go on the scales to reckon up the balance of probability at some stage.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 15:48 GMT (UK) »
It occurred to me that the family might have had George William Athol ( a street name in Regina ) Henry baptised/christened after they returned to England.  The unindexed parish registers of many Gateshead churches are on microfilm at the Durham County Archives.  Unindexed microfilm, the dark ages of genealogical research. :-[

I have had a LOT of experience of those in my rare visits to the archives in the area. I'll give it a go next year on my annual visit.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Completed: James Arthur HENRY 1881-1957 UPDATE
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 17 September 20 17:20 BST (UK) »
Ok its 6 years since I posted this query and am revisiting the family to check if anything new has popped up.

The Saskatchewan genealogical births database seems to have been updated and I have finally found the birth registration for their son George William Athol HENRY who was born in Sask :-)

HENRY, George William Athol, M, born 6th March 1913, Regina
Parents Elizabeth PUGMIRE and James Arthur HENRY

The birth date matches with that on the 1939 register in England and he was recorded with his parents and sister all of which checks out.

I may be slow, but I often get there in the end. I am adding this into the thread for completeness. It may help someone , someday :-)

Boo