Author Topic: Christian JUFFS - Eynsham  (Read 4054 times)

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christian JUFFS - Eynsham
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all posters and your contributions and suggestions.  I will try OXFHS they are always very helpful.

Christian Juffs is the wife of Thomas Lay who died in 1820.  He left a will and mentions a Thomas Jiffs/Jeffs/Juffs in the will has having land in Freeland.

I did find some other Juffs:
On Ancestry there is a Thomas Juffs bap 21 Oct 1750 Eynsham, parents Thomas and Elizabeth.

On Family search there is a Mary Juff bap 21 Dec 1755 Culham and John Juff bap 20 Dec 1753 Culham, parents listed as Thomas, no wife mentioned.

On Family search Martha Juff bap 19 Jan 1751 Culham, parents Thomas and Maria.

Also found on ancestry
Thomas Juffs married Mary Moody 1784 ,Ox
Thomas Dipper married Catherine Juffs 1786 Ox (father is Thomas Jeffs , hisWill dated 1805,Eynsham, mentions Catherine Dipper as sole heir)
George Juffs married Ann Bates, Edgcott

So lots to search and thank you.

JJJ2

Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:18 GMT (UK) »
JJJ2
I have been looking at other PR's around Oxfordshire and whilst not loads there are some JUFFS and I am sure some are yours - but that's all speculative until it is identified who your Christian is.

Again looking at the transcribed Eynsham PR's the last name for the 1750 baptism  you refer to - upon magnification it actually appears to be JUPPS so that may make it worse. Detailed examination of the indexing appears to show that the actual baptism for that Thomas was indexed in the transcribing as JUDGE - so a definite need to examine the actual PR for resolution to that!!
The fact that it may be shown else where could be an optimistic assumption rather than a well researched fact?

Hope this all helps

NDRFT

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 14:25 GMT (UK) »
NDRFT
Once again thanks for your help.  As the politicians say, I shall remain cautiously optimistic, that I will find Christian's information.

JJJ2
Abraham, Busby, Down, Doidge, Kinsman, Rowe, Grimley, Kennard, Piper, Bailey, Crew, McKnight, Faulkner, Lay, Newton, Meehan, Legg, Howson, Fitzgerald,Walters, O'Neill, Ring, Pendergast/Prendergast

Offline simonp17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 December 14 11:29 GMT (UK) »
There is only one Christian J*FFS in the Oxfordshire Family History Society search suite, and she is Christian JEFFS, baptised in Hanborough (a parish bordering Eynsham) on 27 June 1756, the daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth.

I have not managed to find a marriage record for Thomas and Elizabeth JEFFS. The couple did have six other children baptised in Hanborough:
Mary: baptised 19 March 1758
Richard: baptised 11 November 1759
Elizabeth: baptised 17 January 1762
Katharine: baptised 1 April 1764
Charlotte: baptised 24 August 1766
Katharine: baptised 11 April 1768

Also, there is a baptism in Eynsham on 21 October 1750 for Thomas JUFFS, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth. It seems likely that this is the same family.

I found a couple of further mentions of Thomas JEFFS. Thomas JEFFS from Ensham [Eynsham] was buried in Hanborough on 5 August 1804, aged 76. And on 11 May 1779 Thomas JEFFS a widower from Eynsham married Mary HITCHINS a spinster otp at Oxford St Cross.

Hope this helps!

Offline JJJ2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 19 December 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Simonp17:

Thank you.  There is certainly a lot of info to research.   I appreciate your help.  And the other info I have is definitely in this Hanborough, Eynsham location.

JJJ2