Author Topic: Durham Regatta and the Battle of Waterloo  (Read 2389 times)

Offline nigelvz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Durham Regatta and the Battle of Waterloo
« on: Wednesday 03 December 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
hi
I posted a request on the Beginner's forum some weeks ago
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=698931.msg5421298#msg5421298
and had a number of very useful replies which I am following up.  Durham Regatta is  looking for information on the "Waterloo Men" who appear in most accounts of the early years of celebrations of the battle of Waterloo in Durham City, which involved processions of boats on the river Wear and which developed into the first Durham Regatta in 1834.  We want to invite relatives of these veterans to next year's Durham Regatta to commemorate the bicentenary of the battle.

From the list posted by Ken, km1971, we have 13 who may have fought at Waterloo
THOMAS BARRINGTON 1st Foot Guards; THOMAS   BRAMER 79th Foot; RALPH  DAVIDSON 1st Foot Guards; WILLIAM  DAWSON 44th Foot Capt TA Dudie's Company; MARK HALL 52nd Foot
ROBERT HERBERT 3rd Foot Guards; THOMAS LAIDLER/LAIDLOR 3rd Artillery Captain Charles Sandham's Company no 9; WILLIAM LIDDELL/LIDDLE 3rd Foot Guards 2 Battln Lt Canning's Coy
JOHN MADDISON 95th Foot; SAMUEL MANN 14th Foot; CHRISTOPHER ROBINSON 11th Dragoons; THOMAS SIMPSON 23rd FootCapt Strangeways Company no 2; JAMES WOODS 32nd Foot

and a further 33 who may have fought in the Peninsula
RICHARD AYRE 67th Foot; THOMAS BAINBRIDGE 68th Foot; ROBERT CARR 36th Foot; JOHN CHARLTON 61st Foot; THOMAS CLEMINSON 68th Foot; JOHN COOPER 10th Foot; JOSEPH DAVIDSON 15th Foot; GEORGE DOBSON 7th Foot; GEORGE DODGSON 16th Foot; FENWICK  ELLSBERRY  29th Foot ; THOMAS EYRE 36th Foot; JOHN FAIREST 61st Foot; JOHN FERGUSON 61st Foot; JOHN FRENCH 61st Foot; EDWARD GIBBONS 31st Foot; CHARLES GOLIGHTLY 84th Foot; WILLIAM GRANGER 24th Foot; GEORGE GREGG 68th Foot; JOHN HERBERT 61st Foot; RALPH HERBERT 61st Foot; GEORGE HODGSON 10th Foot; ROBERT HUDSON 87th Foot; JOHN MALLEN 10th Foot; WILLIAM MCDONALD 36th Foot; GEORGE MILLER 82nd Foot; THOMAS NEWTON 61st Foot; THOMAS  ROBSON 29th Foot ; ANTHONY TROTTER 61st Foot; HENRY WHARTON 43rd Foot; ROBERT WILKINSON 34th Foot; GEORGE  WILSON  53rd Foot; CHARLES WINTER 56th Foot; ANTHONY YATES 36th Foot

We would like to know if these people were veterans of these campaigns (we have identified 4 with Waterloo medals and a further 8 with Peninsula clasps to the MGSM) and any information about their subsequent life - e.g. were they in Durham in 1834?

best wishes
nigel

Dr Nigel van Zwanenberg, Chairman Durham Regatta
chairman [-- at --] durham-regatta.org.uk

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline Martin Aaron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Regatta and the Battle of Waterloo
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 March 15 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel
I keep a database of all 28,000 Waterloo men with biographical detail for most of them. I have found a lot of men listed as from Durham and villages nearby at Waterloo including poor Trooper John Temple of the Kings Dragoon Guards, a man from Durham killed at Waterloo. Obviously compiling a full list with all the details would be quite a bit of work but if you are interested then contact me in private here.

All the best
Martin

Offline garygaryd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Durham Regatta and the Battle of Waterloo
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 August 15 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I have noticed you have a Ralph Davidson in your list of men, do you have any further information on him? My great grandfather x 4 and 5 were both Ralph Davidson/davison from the area. I would love to know if they are the one mentioned above