Author Topic: Sheffield family in Newport Pagnell/Sherington  (Read 4800 times)

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sheffield family in Newport Pagnell/Sherington
« on: Monday 08 December 14 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Am hoping some of the wonderful researchers in here can steer me in the right direction to solve a mystery please?

Elizabeth/Elisabeth Sheffield born approx 1792 and died 13 August 1862 in Newport Pagnell, married a John Tandy (1789-1890) in Sherington in December 1811.

In October 1811, also in Sherington - a Thomas Sheffield (possibly born about 1791) married an Elizabeth Pilgrim.

I am trying to ascertain whether Elizabeth Sheffield and Thomas Sheffield were siblings. And the names of likely parents?

Would appreciate any assistance.

Regards
M

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sheffield family in Newport Pagnell/Sherington
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 14 08:11 GMT (UK) »
High probability of being related. Try searching the childrens names in different engines like family search or do a surname search with the time scale of the birth but only look at matches within 20 miles of sherington.

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 December 14 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Unfortunately, all searches I have tried (and am trying) are drawing blanks on any indications that Thomas and Elizabeth are siblings.  :-\

One of those mysteries we all love  :o

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 December 14 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.

So what have you already tried? My research has been focused on a village a few miles from Sherington, so while no guarantee, there may be similarities.

Families stayed local, so the two you are looking for may be cousins. The trade they did would depend on where they travelled (and settled) So sherington would have trading links to Olney and Newport Pagnell and to a lesser extent Bedford. So you may find family members in villages off the A509.

Do you have the full name of Thomas and Elizabeth? Naming patterns include naming the first born son with the fathers name, or giving him the middle name of the mothers maiden name seem to be common, so this may also help.

If you are local, Milton Keynes library have the parish records and Bishops Transcripts for every north bucks village. Might be worth a visit.

Mike

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike

I've tried familysearch and going through the Buckinghamshire parish registers (or at least what information I can find online) as well as anything that springs to mind (which isn't much lol).

I'm not aware of any middle names for either Thomas or Elizabeth. The marriage details for both don't provide any other names.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely aware of what areas are close by to either Sherington or Newport Pagnell (although I know they are about 2 miles apart?). I'm in Australia so physically getting to places that can potentially provide the info I'm looking for is a bit of a challenge at the moment.

Cheers
M

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 20:45 GMT (UK) »
I see your issue!

I cant find much either, without going to the records office i am not sure what can be found.

If you are right, and they are related it should be possible to track them down. I guess you have other relatives on the tree in the same area?

Mike

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Where both these guys born in Newport pagnell?

Offline mysteries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 December 14 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I believe they were born in Newport Pagnell - although - in the census records it varies between Sherington and/or Newport Pagnell.

There is family living around Watford/Croxley Green (I have no idea how far away that is), but they are as stuck as me. Back to the drawing board :-)

Cheers
M

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 December 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Well prior to the railways in the 1800's peoplif e would not have travelled far. So if they are linked then i guess you need to know if the original family are from Watford or Newport. Or if they are actually unconnected.