Author Topic: 1871 Census Benjamin and Elizabeth John(s) - Where are they?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
1871 Census Benjamin and Elizabeth John(s) - Where are they?
« on: Saturday 13 December 14 11:59 GMT (UK) »
If anyone fancies a mystery, I'm trying to find Benjamin and Elizabeth John(s) on the 1871 Census. :-\  They should appear in or around the Pembroke St Michael area as they are listed as being resident at Herbert(s) Moor on their children's baptisms either side of the Census, but every combination I try does not find them.

Benjamin was born in Manorbier in 1841 and Elizabeth in Angle in 1844.  They should have son Frederick William (1869) with them, but also possibly Francis (1865) and Martha (1867).  Francis and Martha were both baptised at Lamphey and Frederick at Pembroke St Mary, but the residence on all is Herberts Moor.

If anyone can find them please, I'd be very grateful. :D

I DON'T NEED ANY OTHER INFORMATION ON THE FAMILY THANKS.

Nicola
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census Benjamin and Elizabeth John(s) - Where are they?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 14 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I can not find any reference to the baptism of Elizabeth at angle. I note that the baptism of Frances Esther the daughter of John & Elizabeth John of the East End Pembroke was baptised on the 1st May 1865
I also confirm the baptism of Francis John the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth John a Labourer of Lydstep Penally baptised on the 23rd Apr 1865
I also confirm the baptism of Martha on 16 June 1867 at Lamphey to Benjamin and Elizabeth John of Herberts Moor.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 14 17:37 GMT (UK) »
I have an inkling that Frances(Fanny) and what is left of the family reside in North Parade Havefordwest in 1871.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 December 14 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Owen.

I don't think the Fanny John with Elizabeth John (unmarried) and Mary John (widow) at North Parade, Haverfordwest is anything to do with the family I'm looking for, well not the immediate family anyway.

Benjamin John(s)'s wife was Elizabeth Morgan(s) baptised at Angle as Elizabeth Morgan daughter of Joseph and Martha of Banjeston?, labourer, on 4 May 1844.  Their marriage confirms her father was Joseph, a labourer, and she is listed as born Angle on 1881 and 1891 Census.  One of their youngest sons was Joseph Morgan Johns which tends to confirm that this is the right marriage.

I suspect that Benjamin and Elizabeth and family are simply missing on the 1871 Census, which is a shame.

On the 1881 Census they are listed as living at Herberts Moor within Pembroke St Michael, with six of their children including Frederick William who was baptised at Pembroke St Mary in 1865 and Elizabeth who was 1 year and 9 months when she was baptised at Lamphey in October 1872 along with brother Charles Augustus.  Elizabeth should actually be with the family in 1871 if they could be found. :-\

Interestingly, on the same page for 1881 and the very next entry which is at Alleston Farm, there is a Francis John aged 15 Farm Servant born Pembrokeshire who could, but for no birthplace on the entry other than the county, be Benjamin and Elizabeth's son.

Benjamin and Elizabeth's daughter Elizabeth married James William Stephens at Angle on 24 July 1897, sister Isabella was one of the witnesses.  Her age is wrong on the 1901 Census but on the 1911 and marriage entry it is correct.

I think Benjamin and Elizabeth's son Francis along with his wife Jane are in Llandyfodwg, Glamorgan on the 1891 to 1911 Census.  His birthplace is Manorbier on the 1891 but Penally on the later Census.  I can't find the marriage online, only the GRO reference for now, but interestingly there is a Fred John aged 22 yrs born Pembroke St Michaels with them.  Admittedly he is listed as a boarder and speaking Welsh, but he appears on later Census in Llandyfodwg as just speaking English with wife Mary.  The 1901 Census appears to have the birthplaces on the wrong lines as he's shown as born where his wife was born, but brother Herbert, admittedly with an incorrect age, is with them.  On the 1911 Census he is listed as Frederick W so, apart from getting the marriage cert as the marriage isn't on FindMyPast, tends to suggest this is Benjamin and Elizabeth's son and he moved to Glamorgan with older brother Francis as they are both resident in the same place.

This only leaves daughter Martha unaccounted for out of Benjamin and Elizabeth's eldest children.

There is a Martha John aged 13 years resident as a nurse maid in Lamphey on the 1881 Census.  Unfortunately birthplace is listed as just Pembrokeshire but this could be her.

There is also a Martha Johns who married George Rees at Angle on 13 Oct 1888, her father is Benjamin, a labourer, and two of the witnesses are Elizabeth Johns and James Stephens.  Post 1888, Martha Rees nee Johns birthplace is listed as Pembroke or Pembroke St Michael and her age ties in with the daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth nee Morgan(s).  Also, the signature of the witness Elizabeth Johns looks very similar to that of the bride Elizabeth Johns who married James William Stephens in Angle in 1897.  The Stephens in the signature of James Stephens the witness in 1888 is quite similar to the bridegroom in 1897, although the James is less so.  James William Stephens was in the Royal Field Artillery when he married and his army service record lists him as already signed up in 1888, although he was stationed at home.  Although born in Glamorgan, his family are in Angle at that time so it could possibly have been him.

I suspect, but so far cannot prove, that Martha Rees nee Johns is probably the daughter of Benjamin and Elizabeth nee Morgan(s).  Hence the reason I was hoping to find them on the 1871 Census to confirm daughter Martha was at least alive then as I can't find a burial for her.  Both Benjamin and Elizabeth's mothers were named Martha, so I would have thought if daughter Martha had died one of the younger daughters would have been named Martha again.  Its not definite that they would have done this but possible.  The witnesses to the 1888 marriage, though, are rather interesting evidence to suggest my theory could be correct.

This is a friend of mine's mother in law's family and she originally had listed Martha as the daughter of Benjamin and Mary Ann nee Thomas.  However, their daughter is listed as born Pontypool on most Census, although her birth year varies from 1868 to 1871 and she's listed as Martha Kate on one Census.  I don't think that is the correct family, not least because of the birthplace, but I know this is the only Martha of possibly the correct age with a father Benjamin that my friend could find on the Census.  While that Benjamin was born in Pembrokeshire, the family seem to float between Monmouth and Glamorgan and I've not found a link back to Pembroke.  Also his profession on all census and most CMB entries is groom or coachman, while Martha Rees' father is listed as a labourer.  As Martha Rees nee Johns birthplace is listed on all later Census as Pembroke or Pembroke St Michael, I think she's more likely the child baptised in Lamphey.

I'm hoping I can find something that definitely proves this. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 December 14 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I think Benjamin had died and his widow and children were living with her mother in law Elizabeth Johns. To differentiate between mother and daughter she is referred to as Eliza.

Martha M
Frederick W   and
Margaret are also listed at the address in Hakin.
Jones, Knight, Bateman, Lightfoot, Ostler, Childs

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 December 14 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi still-searching, which census are you referring to? 

I don't think the Hakin family are the same as the one connected to Pembroke St Michael and Lamphey.

Offline still-searching

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 December 14 08:39 GMT (UK) »
1871 I searched for the children rather than parents
Jones, Knight, Bateman, Lightfoot, Ostler, Childs

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 December 14 08:48 GMT (UK) »
I've tried searching for them individually but can't find them on 1871.  On 1881 to 1901 the parents and remaining children are in Pembroke St Michael.  Martha on 1881 is probably the servant in Lamphey, although it only says Pembrokeshire as birthplace.  She was married by 1891.

I think they are just missing from 1871.  Unfortunately I have the same issue with a family on the 1881 Census, missing from their address in London as its empty and, in spite of some unusual first names, I can't find them anywhere. :-\