Author Topic: Victoria: Alexander INGRAM , Born Cardiff, South Wales 1842  (Read 4926 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Victoria: Alexander INGRAM , Born Cardiff, South Wales 1842
« on: Sunday 14 December 14 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Alexander INGRAM was born in Cardiff, South Wales, in 1842, the son of John and Mary Ann INGRAM.   He was assisted by the Royal Philanthropic Society to emigrate and is supposed to have sailed aboard the "Startled Fawn" in 1855 for Melbourne.........the passenger list I retrieved via the website "Mariners and Ships in Australian Waters" does not record him.

..........and despite repeated efforts throughout the weekend I have been unable to access the PROV website and their inward passenger listings!!!!

I have visited various State BDM websites without trace, sadly, and my only hope is that he is NOT the Alexander INGRAM of Newcastle, presumably the UK one, who murdered his wife and two children extensively covered by TROVE.

Any help please.

BAC3

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Victoria: Alexander INGRAM , Born Cardiff, South Wales 1842
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 14 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Without going too far why do you say that the fellow who murdered his wife and children was in Newcastle England?

Did the South Wales Alexander lose his parents? If not why was he assisted to emigrate?

Neil.
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 December 14 18:20 GMT (UK) »
He is on the list of UNASSISTED passengers on "Startled Fawn,
INGRAM ALEXANDER 16 NOV 1856 STARTLED FAWN B 115 005 FROM PROV.  http://prov.vic.gov.au

Neil

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 14 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Victorian BDM has 20 entries for The name under Marriages and deaths. Not free to search.
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search.

Neil

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 14 20:30 GMT (UK) »
I've had a look at marriages for Alexander INGRAM in Victoria to 1888.
The early indexes show place of birth for both parties in Vic and I do not see a chap of the name with birthplace Wales marrying.

Victoria was very much the place to be in 1850's with gold offering prosperity and adventure! But perhaps he moved on to another of the States.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 December 14 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I think the date of birth may be slightly out as FreeBMD has this birth registration:

Sep qr 1841
Alexander INGRAM, reg Cardiff, Vol 26 p335

You may already have this baptism which is almost certainly Alexander's brother, given the parent names, and the 1851 census entry.  From FreeReg.

Parish church of St John, Cardiff
Baptised, 28 Sep 1837
Edward INGRAM
Parents: John INGRAM watchmaker, Mary Ann (nee POWLES)

The Startled Fawn left London abt the end of July 1856 arriving 1 Nov.  Alexander was a passenger in the third cabin. Occupatin listed as 'agricultural'

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 14 04:03 GMT (UK) »
To answer your question, Neil there is a death for a John INGRAM, registered Cardiff, Apr qr 1852.

Mary Ann INGRAM, 59, watchmaker's widow, b Monmouth, Monmouthshire is at the District Union Workhouse, Cardiff in 1861.

These records suggest that the family was left in poor circumstances after the death of John.  I do not see any of the children with Mary Ann in the workhouse, nor can I see Wallace on the 1861 census but there is the death of a Wallace INGRAM, registered Cardiff Apr qr 1855 - an on-line tree suggests that he  died in the workhouse.

A possibility for Edward in 1861 is an entry for a Private, 1/8th regiment stationed at Gosport Barracks, Hampshire.  This man is aged 23 and born St John's, Cardiff, which fits (wrongly transcribed in 1851 as aged 4 when he was actually 14)

So the family appears to have gone separate ways.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 December 14 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone,

He did arrive in Melbourne, a year later than research indicated......one problem solved.

Now the genealogical maze with the hope that there is a way out of not knowing what happened to him?? :-\

BAC3

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 December 14 17:33 GMT (UK) »
When you've looked at BMDs, have you found any possible, not-quite-matching Alexanders? Age or birthplace or parents slightly out?

It's quite possible that the people registering his death weren't quite aware of his proper age, birthplace, or family details.

I did check NZ bmds just in case, but didn't see any possibles.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk