Author Topic: Where are you hiding Jessie Cochrane?  (Read 11065 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Where are you hiding Jessie Cochrane?
« on: Friday 19 December 14 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Jessie Cochrane born 1838 Caputh, Perthshire.  Jessie marries John Peters (plumber) in 1855 she's 17 he's 27 (allegedly) and a widower. On the marriage certificate is says his birth was not registered (see clip) but it looks like he may be from St Vigeans? OK, this starts off pretty ordinary.  Three children born in this marriage. Both their marriage and the birth of their three children (all born Blairgowrie) are showing on Familysearch.

Jessie and her parents were discussed here with much help from Monica and Jonn:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670693.0

I've now found Jessie's mother Janet Cochrane on the 1871 census with the three Peter's children mentioned above (Jessie, John and Margaret)  they are living 39 Seagate (Fairney's Court) Dundee - no Jessie, no husband John and no father Alexander.

The person who should be with Jessie is a William Fullerton but on the 1871 census he's living in Dundee with his parents at 32 Gellatly Street. Jessie and William should be together as on two of their children's birth certificates they claim to have been married in Newcastle in 1870.

At the time of the 1871 census Jessie is preggie and a couple of months later gives birth to William Cochrane on the 13th June 1871. William is listed as illegitimate, Jessie is listed as a domestic servant. The birth address is (no number given) Bonnygate, Cupar, Fife. (On future census William will be shown as Fullerton, born Cupar) I have no idea how Cupar fits into this story. Did she just get the train from Dundee to have the child in Fife?

John Peter's is also missing in 1871. I have a death certificate for a John Peters in 1887 that I take to be Jessie's husband. I think I have him on the 1861 census boarding in Montrose at Castle Street with a Jean Beattie and in 1881 on Drummond Street, Comrie Perthshire (same address as on the 1887 death certificate).

So Jessie, Alexander and John all missing in 1871 but by 1881 Jessie's playing happy families with William Fullerton and about to give birth to their third child, Alexander Cochrane is reunited with his wife Janet living in England with daughter Margaret, and John Peters is alive and plumbing in Comrie (so we just have 'pretend' bigamy as there is no official marriage?)...

In her lifetime Jessie (baptised Janet) uses Cochrane, Peters, Fullerton and Scott (her mother's maiden name but Jessie uses it on two of her children's birth certificates!).  I thought she might even be the Jessie Scott born Caputh on the 1871 census living Dundee with a Thomas Scott but I followed through on their son and mother looks to be a Jessie Deucher.

Jessie and her men have got me pulling my hair out....help in finding any of these three on the 71 census would be great. I've spent a week looking for them without success.

Thanks
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you hiding Jessie Cochrane?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 December 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

John Peters in 1871?

Mrs Mackay 42
Kate Mackay 18
John Mackie 19
John Peters 38 boarder, plumber b. Montrose
George Miln 22

Address: High Street, Dunfermline Burgh, Fife

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 December 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 and 1881 John Peters is described as a widower.

The good news  :)

I have discovered the name of John's employer in Montrose: Messrs. C. Middleton, plumbers.

The bad news  :o

The Dundee Courier of 16-1-1866 reports a case at Montrose Police Court the previous day. John Peters was found guilty of stealing 40 lb of lead from his employer and selling it to Mrs Gordon, licensed broker, Baltic Street. Both received 20 days imprisonment in Dundee jail.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 December 14 17:48 GMT (UK) »
All adds colour and background to what is already a tricky family situation, GR2.  Certainly looks like John Peters and wife Jessie didn't stay together long after the quick births of their 3 children pre 1861.

Jen, you mentioned you had found William Fullerton living with his parents in 1871 in Dundee. What was his marital status (if you have viewed the original)?

Monica

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 December 14 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica,
Well, that looks like him - a serial 'boarder' by the looks of him - gets about a bit does the plumber. That's good he's sticking with Montrose as place of birth ;) the same on 1881 when he's back in Perthshire living on the street where he will end his days.  Could not find him on FindMyPast???

I've found an Alexander at Murroes in Angus- birth place Clunie and age a bit out but it could be him.  Jessie a total blank..I cannot believe she's the Jessie Cochrane with the Minister over in Govan.

Thanks GR2 - nice find - I like the 'bad' news ;) Spooky my dad was born in Baltic Street!
Monica, I've got the original 1871 for William he's down as unmarried.
Jen

Offline Citizen Smith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 December 14 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

Do you have a death cert for Jessie Cochrane?

Sarah
Kirkcaldy and Dysart: Kinnaird, Brown, McDougall, Page
Burntisland: Brown, Chalmers
Perth: Low
Donegal: Browne, O'Donnell
Montrose: Allardice
Dorset: Allen

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 December 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
Mountains of certs for this lot including Jessie's DC...she's down as 81 when she dies in 1919. Both John Peters and William Fullerton are listed on the cert, son William signs.
Jen

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 December 14 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Fife Herald, Thursday 25-5-1871:

In the report on the Dunfermline Burgh Court on the previous Monday:

John Peters forfeited 2s 6d for committing a nuisance in Bruce Street on the 20th inst.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 December 14 18:46 GMT (UK) »
John Peters still in trouble then, GR2... ::)

Still struggle to find Jessie (and father Alexander) in 1871  :-\ Given Jessie is about to give birth (likely to William Fullerton's child?), a few months later, you would think she would be relatively local to the nearby counties.

Monica