Author Topic: Miner's possible death, James Anderson in range 1871 - 1881  (Read 2460 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Miner's possible death, James Anderson in range 1871 - 1881
« on: Wednesday 24 December 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying hard still to find what happened to a James Anderson, Dearham, Cumberland born (c.1842) miner, he was in the Flint area in 1867, when his son was born.(Don't think he was actually married to the mother). But I have a lot more on him now.
In 1870 he made the local papers, in June, as the victim of theft (5 shillings and some "wearing apparel"), and apparently was working at Flint Marsh Colliery.
He was in the 1871 census, in Feather Street, Flint. I've seen the half of the street that's there still, and noted the area's generous provision of Public Houses for thirsty miners!
He does not seem to appear on any later censuses, so I am speculating that he died between 1871 and 1881, and especially as, from what I've read in the local records office there, the Flint Marsh Colliery didn't seem to have a brilliant safety record, probably in a mine accident. I'd some idea he may have died about '78.
I've "got" him from birth, in Whitehaven, then Dearham, in 1851 and 1861 censuses, no idea why he moved to Wales - except his mother seems to have died in that period.
I may have asked a question on this board before, about him in general terms - I can't find it, so there's no point trying to link to it, and please forgive me if I have, I once before inadvertently incurred the wrath of a moderator that way  -but really:
All I want is help to come up with a new idea of where I may be able to find a record if he died in an accident at the Flint Marsh Mine in that time-scale. I can't seem to find anything online.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Miner's possible death, James Anderson in range 1871 - 1881
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 17:45 GMT (UK) »
This is very worrying,there is just no death of that name in the locality.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 December 14 18:12 GMT (UK) »
"Very worrying" - yes, WRJones ! It was the only way I have ever found to try to account for the man vanishing!
Iluleah: Thank you, I've scoured that site before, a year or so back. It was a good idea, though, and thanks for taking the trouble.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 December 14 19:08 GMT (UK) »
There is a death to maybe look at in 1878,unfortunately perhaps its in Cardiff!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 December 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have to get hold of his death certificate. I've no real grounds to think it'll be him, but at least (albeit expensive) it's a way to eliminate one. Thanks, again, WRJones.