Author Topic: Baptism or any info re: Bridgit MULLIGAN (born 1811) Crosserlough.  (Read 1724 times)

Offline harpy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baptism or any info re: Bridgit MULLIGAN (born 1811) Crosserlough.
« on: Friday 26 December 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
 :) Seasons greetings to all.
I have found Bridgit Mulligan aged 9 on the 1821 census for Killytogher, Crosserlough, Cavan and would like to find any baptismal info (no luck so far). Her mother Margaret is listed but not her father yet Margaret is not listed as a widow. Can I assume that the father is absent?
English research lists Bridgit as Betsey then Bridgid (censuses) and Elizabeth (wedding certificate). Is this typical? The wedding was C of E but was the English groom's home city (Sheffield).
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BAPTISM OR ANY INFO RE: BRIDGIT MULLIGAN (BORN 1811) Crosserlough.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
:) Seasons greetings to all.
I have found Bridgit Mulligan aged 9 on the 1821 census for Killytogher, Crosserlough, Cavan and would like to find any baptismal info (no luck so far). Her mother Margaret is listed but not her father yet Margaret is not listed as a widow. Can I assume that the father is absent?
English research lists Bridgit as Betsey then Bridgid (censuses) and Elizabeth (wedding certificate). Is this typical? The wedding was C of E but was the English groom's home city (Sheffield).
Hope someone can help.
Many thanks.
www.rootsireland.ie has baptism/marriage records for cavan - you would need to check the Sources list for the county to see which years are covered. :) do you have her fathers name from bridgets marriage record

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BAPTISM OR ANY INFO RE: BRIDGIT MULLIGAN (BORN 1811) Crosserlough.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
Hugh, Owen & John Mulligan are on Griffiths Valuation in Crosserlough Cavan mid 1850's viewable at www.nationalarchives.ie

Offline harpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism or any info re: Bridgit MULLIGAN (born 1811) Crosserlough.
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 December 14 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thank you for your replies.
Unfortunately Bridgit's marriage certificate pre-dates inclusion of fathers details.
The Griffith's valuation concerning Owen could be her brother (a child named Owen was listed on the 1821 census) so I shall persue this line of enquiry. I did find much earlier info on Griffiths regarding an Owen Mulligan from a neighbouring area and this may be her father as I'm assuming the name Owen has been passed on and is not commonplace for the area or the times.
Thank you for looking. Wish I had a crystal ball for the past!