Author Topic: John (Jno) Powell, Waterloo Medal, 1815  (Read 9377 times)

Offline lasswade

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John (Jno) Powell, Waterloo Medal, 1815
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 December 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
hello Linda,

Sorry, none of the names you mention appear in my family tree research.

My people were Stockwell and Ronayne, London, and Shorrocks and Barlow, of Manchester. An outside chance is William Smith, valet of London and his dau. Lily, who was my g. grandmother, (married Ronayne). I have not been able to find anything on them despite years of looking. The other family members' records I have found to 1800 and before.

I note some of your people came to Australia, perhaps they had the medal and let it go for whatever reason. I mention the Medlicotts because my father knew them well and sold a number of old and interesting things for them in the 1950s. The younger Mr. Medlicott was named Percy and his father was the Katoomba (NSW) coroner for some time and also a prominent pharmacist in the town in the early 1900s.

RE. Septimus from your post: Camden is about 60 miles from Katoomba, which is also 66 miles from Paddington, which is inner Sydney. A connection to Medlicott, through both being chemists, might be likely.

It's possible that my parents bought the medal from Medlicott or someone else and my mother put it with her mother's coins. I found it in 1968 after her death and had not known anything about it until then.

I am with Ancestry and will look around Aust. records.

Sorry to be so long, will press 'post' this time.

Bea.

Perhaps they were connected somehow to your people

Offline lasswade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 12 December 15 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Linda,

I'll be doing some more research on Monday, nothing found yet but will be in touch again soon...

Bea

Offline lasswade

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 February 16 03:18 GMT (UK) »
hello Carrington,

sorry I've been so long...

I can't find any family connection,  but believe the medal came into my parents' hands through some acquaintance with your Australian family members, strongly suspecting the friendship with the Medlicotts, who were chemists, I mentioned previously.

The only other thing might be through my g.grandmother, Lily Smith of London, (b. abt. 1856-60)on whom I can uncover nothing other than her father was William Smith, a valet.

I won't forget it when I am looking around in my history.

Bea.

Offline Newyorker123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 01 September 16 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda. I’ve just joined Roots.com, as a family tree expert I know who is looking into my family tree at present had spotted your post re the John Powell Waterloo medal. I believe that I am related to you! My maiden name is Powell, and I am descended from this John Powell – via the root of the John Powell who married Elisabeth May. My grandfather and great grandfather were also Chemists in Reading, UK. Would you be interested in making contact via private message? I’ve never been on an internet forum before, so am not entirely sure how this works!

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 01 September 16 17:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Newyorker123

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Everyone who has contributed to this topic should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back soon.

There is information on using the personal message system on the link just below but you need to increase your post count to 2 or 3 before it is made available to you.

http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Newyorker123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 01 September 16 18:20 BST (UK) »