Author Topic: Broadwell Parish Records  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Broadwell Parish Records
« on: Sunday 28 December 14 12:02 GMT (UK) »
The Victoria County History (for Broadwell/Filkins) states "From the later 17th century, as Filkins expanded ... craftsmen included ... the clothier Thomas WASTIE (died 1667)".  The footnote gives the source as wills held at the ORO.

I would like to know if there's any reference to Thomas WASTIE (or obvious variants) in the Broadwell PRs - his burial, or perhaps marriage or baptisms of children?

Most grateful for any help.

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Broadwell Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 December 14 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I've looked at the OFHS transcripts for Broadwell and Wastie of any spelling doesn't appear in the Baptism 1615-1999, Marriage 1620-1999 and Burial 1618-1998 records for any time period.

Are you sure it was Broadwell?

Unfortunately I don't have the PRs for Filkins - it's OFHS CD OXF-WIT02 if you want to get it to research the family.  Broadwell is OXF-CD02

I did note the burial of a Thomas Woofe 26 March 1666 described as "an owld bachelor of Filkins" so maybe the two parishes were closely linked to one another so that your Thomas Wastie chose to go there?

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 14 18:20 GMT (UK) »
The Victoria County History (for Broadwell/Filkins) states "From the later 17th century, as Filkins expanded ... craftsmen included ... the clothier Thomas WASTIE (died 1667)".  The footnote gives the source as wills held at the ORO.

The documents available are:

Administration bond, Inventory, Administrator's Account.

These are available for viewing at Origins.net and at FindMyPast.co.uk .  Several WASTIEs are mentioned - I recommend having a look at it if you haven't already.  The OFHS wills coordinator, Dave Beames, will be happy to help with transcription.

I would like to know if there's any reference to Thomas WASTIE (or obvious variants) in the Broadwell PRs - his burial, or perhaps marriage or baptisms of children?

The OFHS Search Services (see on the left at www.ofhs.org.uk) will answer such a question, though in this case Artifis has had a look in Broadwell itself.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk
www.ofhs.org.uk

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Artifis -

Unfortunately I don't have the PRs for Filkins - it's OFHS CD OXF-WIT02 if you want to get it to research the family.  Broadwell is OXF-CD02

The Filkins PRs wouldn't be relevant here - Filkins only became a parish in its own right in 1864

See the publication "Oxfordshire Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts" by Colin Harris which is given to members of OFHS.

Wendy
OFHS HelpDesk
www.ofhs.org.uk

Offline Pennie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 December 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to Artifis and Wendy for your replies.

I do have the CD which includes Filkins, so knew that my search had to be in Broadwell.

I located the will on the Origins website, then found that you could no longer download images from that site as it's all now been transferred to FindMyPast (but I have managed to get one month's subscription there for £1 using an Origins promotional code, so that was useful!). 

Will download Thomas's will and forward it to Dave Beames (as I'm not actually even sure which bit is the will!).  I have, however, managed to read odd bits which has confirmed that Thomas's wife was an Anne - now going back to check my WASTIE archives!

Pennie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www. nationalarchives.gov.uk.